Study materials advice for a quadriplegic?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello all,

Being paralyzed from the neck down and operating my computer by voice, I'm looking for the best self-study materials -- in either e-book or PDF format?

I started my GMAT preparations doing problems from free sources online, but after noticing some errors in a few quantitative solutions (I was a math major before injuring my spinal cord), I decided I should buy the best materials from which to study.

I have about 6 weeks to prepare and wish to score at least in the mid-600s.

Since I will have to solve problems on the GMAT with a proctor acting as my hands and listening to my verbal instructions, I need to learn the best & quickest way to solve whatever problems I may encounter. I think the best and fastest way for me to learn is to see solutions worked out from experts who are taking the best approach.

Again, the key to the materials I seek is they must be available in digital format (PDF files are preferred) for a PC with Windows XP Pro. Printed materials are useless to me.

If you're curious, there's some info about me with my signature below.

I'll be much appreciative of any suggestions. Thank you.

Incidentally, my caregiver-based schedule has me up all night and sleep during the day, so my reply time is usually late afternoon to about 6 a.m. Eastern time.

Bill Miller :-)
C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 206 High Bowling Game
Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc. d/b/a MGT
My blog: https://powerwheelchairusers.blocked
Business website: https://www.ikanbowler.com
Personal website: https://www.lookmomnohands.net

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gabriel16 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 am
Bill,

I commend you on your dedication to taking the GMAT. In regards to your question, there is a company called GMATHACKS that puts out a math and verbal guide in PDF format. I only used the math review, but I really liked the lessons. Should you want a decent review in PDF format I would go to the GMATHACKS website and take a look whenever you get the chance. I cannot remember how much the guides cost, but I do not think they are too expensive.

Best of luck in your preparation.

God Bless You.

MG

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:31 am
Most test prep companies have databases with questions and directed quizzes (I can think of Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT and Knewton right off the bat).
There are other less ethical ways of studying from a pdf document, but it's up to you if you what to do that or not. You do have a pretty solid excuse, but it's still stealing...
Congratulations for your efforts though! Your determination is something to look up to!

by BillGator97 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 pm
Thank you Gabriel and Dana. I'll checkout the suggestions you gave. I'm leaning toward the Manhattan GMAT materials since the poll on here ranks them the highest. I think I'll email them to find out what exactly is available online or in digital format.

Thanks.

Bill :-)

by crejoc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:08 am
Bill you are really an inspiration... Go Ahead bill , go ahead.. you will be successful in any endeavor.. We all hear to support you in any possible way.. Went through your websites, read about you,.... No words to praise your determination...

by BillGator97 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 pm
Thank you Crejoc.

I just found out today my accommodated exam has been approved! That's definitely good news. Since I will have to instruct a proctor with what to write to solve problems, I'm granted 100% additional time -- but even with the extra time, it will still be a challenge to solve the quantitative problems in an average of four minutes. I pray my proctor is sharp and is familiar with what I'll be asking him/her to write. But I'm trying to prepare as best as possible, so I'll know the easiest way to instruct my proctor.

Regarding my initial question for study materials, it looks like Manhattan GMAT is going to be at least part of my solution. Their online set of 8 Question Banks (200 total questions with expert-worked solutions) is a good value for $29 (and maybe the Beat the GMAT discount applies to that also?).

I'm hoping Manhattan GMAT will also sell me PDF or e-book versions of their study guides (I'm awaiting a reply to my email to them). But I think I'll learn quite a bit from their Question Banks, and I also found a comprehensive McGraw-Hill 2009 GMAT e-book that can be purchased for about $15 in PDF format.

If Manhattan GMAT won't or can't sell me PDF versions, I may just jump in with the Question Banks and McGraw-Hill's book. Those two should be enough to help me secure a score of 600 or better, which I think is all I should need for acceptance into the program I'm pursuing. That said, I'd like to score in the mid-600s or better, if possible. But that might depend on how well my proctor understands what I'm trying to do.

I think I'm going to write the testing people back to inquire about the typical skill level of their proctors. They cannot assist me with anything, but I want to know if they are familiar with GMAT questions or if they just hire people who are capable of administering exams.

No worries! I believe everything will work out satisfactorily.

Bill Miller :-)
C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 206 High Bowling Game
Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc. d/b/a MGT
My blog: https://powerwheelchairusers.blocked
Business website: https://www.ikanbowler.com
Personal website: https://www.lookmomnohands.net

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am
Wow Bill, you're a true inspiration for all of us! I have no doubt in my mind that you'll do well on the GMAT!
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

by BillGator97 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 pm
Thank you for your positive thoughts awesomeusername. I appreciate them.

Will someone please tell me what is contained in the three Official Guides?

Pearson (the exam administrators) granted my accommodated exam, but cannot provide accessible versions of the three OGs (which I am willing to pay full price for, even as e-book or PDF files).

Adobe can easily disable copying and printing, and can also ensure the files can only be opened on one computer. So there should be no reason that Pearson cannot comply.

But before I press Pearson on the issue, I need to know if the battle is worth fighting, i.e. what would I be missing if I cannot access the three OGs?

Thank you.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 am
Well, OG is the best material out there... Of course you could do without, it's not like it's going to change your life in any way, but... It's the only source for 100% real GMAT questions. If you'll get the chance to read it, you'll also notice that there is no better writing (in the verbal portion, I mean). Their questions are really HQ!
But again, I'm sure you can do just fine without. It's ultimately up to you, if you think it's worth the fight...

by BillGator97 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 am
Thank you Dana. I'm pursuing a few "leads" that may help me. Whatever I ultimately do, I will share here, in case another quadriplegic has similar questions in the future (I searched the forum for quadriplegic and found nothing).

No worries! :-)

by BillGator97 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:48 am
Just FYI, I was able to purchase PDF study materials from Manhattan GMAT, and I was able to get the three Official Guides scanned. So I had quality materials from which to study, and despite quadriplegia and testing with a proctor who acted as my hands (and wasn't familiar with the GMAT math at all) I scored 680 (86th percentile) on my first try!

I should begin graduate school this fall.

Thank you for your help.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 am
Wow! Congrats!!!! That's an awesome feat! Which schools do you plan on attending? Did you post your story in the I just Beat The GMAT forum? Best of luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:56 am
BillGator97 wrote:Just FYI, I was able to purchase PDF study materials from Manhattan GMAT, and I was able to get the three Official Guides scanned. So I had quality materials from which to study, and despite quadriplegia and testing with a proctor who acted as my hands (and wasn't familiar with the GMAT math at all) I scored 680 (86th percentile) on my first try!

I should begin graduate school this fall.

Thank you for your help.
Awesome!!
Bill,
this deserves an entry into the I just beat the GMAT forum so that more people get to know about this. Consider getting your debreif there. Its truly inspiring.
Wish you all the luck!!

Cheers,

by brood1989 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 am
Hey Bill,

On a side note, your passion for the game of bowling is very
commendable. I'm a bowler myself, love the game to death. You're
a new source of inspiration for me. Good luck with your test!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 am
Hi Bill,

You are an inspiration. I speak for the entire BTG community when I say that we look forward to supporting your success on the GMAT and MBA admissions!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school