Profile Eval: Former Army Officer, Current Operations Manage

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Work experience:
(most current first) 1.5 years as Operations Manager for a top F-100 company, 1 promotion.
6 years as Infantry Officer in the US Army. Bronze Star, worked VERY closely with Iraqi Army counterparts, led a Rifle Platoon, top 5% in evals.
3 years as a Network Engineer

GMAT:
Have not completed, but practice tests are around 720

College info:
No name Bible College in Florida. 2.7 GPA (worked full time and paid my own way graduating in 3.5 years), BA in Church Ministries, 1999

EC:
Served as a youth pastor for 2 years while working fulltime and going to school. Helped Iraqi interpreters immigrate to US.

Schools:
1) Booth
2) Kellogg
3) CBS
4) Wharton (ok, it's probably my #1, but I know it's a reach)
5) Anderson
6) Haas

Post-MBA goal:
Return to my company with an incredible business education and help lead my organization in the new economy (cheesey I know). I may switch to finance if admitted to Booth, CBS, or Wharton.

Additional:
I'll be 33 at matriculation, I'm half Asian (Korean), half Caucasian, and I have the benefit of the GI Bill to help fund my MBA.

Thanks ahead of time - very interested to hear your thoughts.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 am
Hi armyoftim - thank you so much for writing in.

You have a really interesting profile! Definite strengths in leadership, and military candidates are generally considered quite favorably at business schools. You did not provide any information about your current accomplishments at work, but the one promotion does indicate that you perform well and that your recommendations will be strong.

Weaknesses: that GPA is really hard to look at isn't it? You definitely will want to write the optional essay explaining it (without excusing it) and offering evidence to show that it is not representative. The best evidence is a strong GMAT score so keep focusing on that. If you took any courses through your military training, that can also be good evidence, as is any courses you took through work or on your own. The other "weakness" (not the quotation marks) is your age. Business schools are trending younger. But a bit more leeway is given to military candidates and after all, you cannot do anything about your age except position it as a strength.

The unknown: community involvement that is more current than the youth pastor work. When were you working with the Iraqi immigrants? What do you do now outside of work?

Business schools have admissions officers who are dedicated to military candidates, so you will be compared against that pool. To some degree that makes things more challenging for you, since you will be compared to a group of candidates with similar stellar leadership, but your GPA and age may be differentiating in a negative way. But it is hard to say since your years in the Army were clearly stellar and may offset the other issues.

I do think your list is a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it is impossible. Definitely apply to Wharton and Booth - they are stretches given the GPA but they actually gravitate more towards older candidates than other schools. CBS tends, in my experience, to focus heavily on the grades and scores so if you are seeking to diversify your list that may be one school to drop. I think you could be competitive at Kellogg and Anderson and probably at Haas too (depending on the GMAT and current extracurriculars). Maybe look at replacing CBS with a school like Ross, or Duke, still an excellent school but one where you may be more competitive.

Oh - if your company is sponsoring you or is guaranteeing you a spot upon graduation, definitely make sure that comes through in your application. AdComs like to know their graduates will be getting jobs when they finish!

Best of luck,

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php