Please guide me for prep material and CATs

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello All,

I just took couple of tests this weekend:

1. MGMAT Free:I scored 670 (Q48, 33V) with 25/37 on quant and 22/41 on verbal. I know i could have got 28-30 questions correct on verbal but lack of concentration did me.

2. 800Score 1: Also, i took 800score test 1 and scored 680 (Q50, V31) with 34/37 on quant and 25/41 on verbal.

I really am very befuddled by 800score's scoring as i got 25 correct on verbal still got 31 sectional score and i did not do that bad in my first 20 questions getting 5 wrong in first 20.

Please guide me what to do and also suggest some reliable CATs. I know that MGMAT are most close to original GMAT after PowerPrep. Also, how trustworthy are scores from 800Score CATS.

PS: I am aiming 700-720.

Thanks,
Varun Jaswal

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 am
Hi Varun,

I recommend you take one of the GMATPreps. Any CAT offered by a private company is an approximation only. They are great to use to work on pacing and stamina, but will NOT give you an wholly "accurate" score.

Think of the scores on these CATs as "ballpark" give or take 50 pts. So I would consider your score range right now somewhere between 620 - 720.

If you are aiming for a solid 700-720, then I would keep practicing until you can score a 750 on a practice CAT, just to be safe.

That said, you'll definitely want to take numerous CATs to practice. MGMAT, Grockit, and Kaplan all offer online CATs. Record your scores, look for improvement, but keep reaching for that 750.

Remember it's much better to over-prepare than to under-prepare. :)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by varunjaswal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:19 pm
Hello Vivian,

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestions. They were very helpful. Actually i have practice tests from Kaplan, Barrons, Arco etc. but they are older versions i.e. 2007-2008. Should i go ahead and purchase new ones or these older versions would suffice? What i actually mean to ask is whether questions in these change over a period of time? Also, do you have some recommendation for prep books or anything specific for that matter?

Thanks,
Varun Jaswal