Profile Evaluation Round 1 Non traditional applicant

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I'm looking to gauge the realistic chances of getting acceptance into some of my target schools when I apply in R1 this year for entry in Fall 2012. 1 and have listed below my work and volunteer experience, as well as important stats.

Graduated UC Berkeley with a degree in Mass Communications, GPA of 3.5
Worked for Nielsen Mobile-Production Associate (07-08)
LookSmart (Account Coordinator then Promoted to Account Manager of Western Region) (08-09)
Pandora Radio (Campaign Manager-Inside Sales) (09-Present)

GMAT: 610 (re took a second time, and this was my score)
Marketing Chair-Northern Ca Chapter of 85 Broads; I help to promote and market all our events, geared towards professional women in all industries.
Other stats: 24 year old Chinese-Fijian American, female

I would like to apply to these schools based on my campus visits and their various offerings and programs:

1) USC
2) NYU
3) Georgetown
4) university of maryland smith
5) Duke Early Action (this is my #1 choice)
6)Emory

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 am
Dear islandgurl918,

I commend you on thinking and planning so far in advance; this level of preparation will pay off for you when you start to write your applications. There are many positives in your profile, but as you already know, the GMAT is a potential weakness for you at these schools. Thus you must ensure the rest of your application components mitigate that weakness and make these admissions committees want to offer you a seat in the class. Use your essays and interview to your advantage to convey why you want an MBA, why now and why each school is the right program for you. Your target school list is a good mix of reach to reasonable programs. You might consider identifying 1-2 safety options for R2 applications though as insurance.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me