Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

Profile Evaluation

by luckyfella » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:35 pm
It is a dream of mine to attend Stanford and later start a business venture that will create a legacy for my family to be proud of. If you have any help, please let me know how I can become a more competitive applicant. Anyway, here goes:

Work experience:
-Currently studying for my MD @ a top 10 U.S. research institution/medical school
-Worked as a paid teaching assistant for multiple Chemistry labs and 1 graduate-level Histology lab during my Sophomore-Senior yrs. in college; I was responsible for organizing the curriculum for the Histology lab and grading the students in all labs
-1 medical internship in undergrad
-1 medical research internship in undergrad at a U.S. medical center

Business-related experience:
-Created a formal business plan for my own business idea and worked with a consultant on logo design, web development, and marketing plan to develop my plan further over the course of a year; did this during a year off after getting accepted into medical school
-3 years of experience with ultimately unsuccessful investments in the stock market (tens of thousands) and the insights gained
-5 years of experience being a co-landlord of a rental property belonging to one of my parents; involved in advertising, creating leases, obtaining notarizations, paying property taxes, rent collection, and updating & maintaing the property

Leadership & Volunteerism:
-Treasurer for 2 years for the Rotaract Club (a division of the Rotary Club for university students) in undergrad
-Coordinated and volunteered in a trip to Mexico to renovate an elementary school as part of Rotaract
-Volunteer Income Tax Assistance for 2 years in undergrad

Academics:
GPA: 3.76/4.00 Biology B.S. at University of Texas branch university
GMAT: 750

Others:
-Fluent in Spanish & English and conversational in a 3rd language
-Received a full scholarship to study my 3rd language of interest abroad in Europe during undergrad
-1st to attend college in the U.S.
-Have traveled to Mexico, Germany, Norway, and Italy on multiple trips; have experience of other cultures

Any suggestions help. Please let me know what I need to stand a better chance of attending Stanford GSB. Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:40 am
Dear luckyfella,

You have the foundation for a competitive application to Stanford GSB. The decision, however, is made on more than a profile and thus your essays, interview, and recommendations are critical pieces to your evaluation. In your case, you need to convey a solid rationale for why you want to go to business school after medical school and how the MBA and MD will work in concert for your career goals. Likewise, you need to make a strong case for why Stanford. Finally, if you have not visited the campus, I encourage you to try to do so. It will communicate your interest, but also help you to experience the culture firsthand which will be beneficial in writing your essays.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me