One year MBA for Social Entrepreneurship in USA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Stacy.
First of all I must say this forum and Beat the GMAT is one stop shop for all the information you need for GMAT and MBA. You folks are doing splendid job.
I have more than 10 years of experience IT and feels like I am done with it. Looking for the opportunity to loom into my passion of creating a social enterprise.
Could you suggest me is there any one year MBA program in USA for Social entrepreneurship? Is it worth spending money in MBA for Social enterprise?
Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 am
Dear arvindt,

One year programs in the US are rare as most are about 22 months long. For those that are less, they range more in the 15-18 month timeframe and usually require specific undergraduate business coursework and/or an undergraduate business degree. You might do a search on mba.com for the options that are available and do specific school research from there on requirements. Whether or not an MBA is worth the investment is a significant question that you should answer prior to spending time and money on applications. The answer to that question will depend on what you seek from your MBA experience and what you consider to be your return on that investment. In other words, is the return simply the salary you make on that first job after graduation? or is it long-term career potential? access to career opportunities? the education (knowledge & skills) gained from the program? all of those things? I encourage you to do some additional research on the MBA degree, your career goals, and specific schools to determine if you feel it is the next step for you.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by arvindt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 am
Thanks Lisa for the response!

And you are right it needs lots of delibration and research. I have started doing the same but there is no easy answer. My objective is to gain knowledge in Social entrepreurship and build my own social enterprise. I have no past exprince in this but can always apply my IT and Project management skills into it.

2nd question also comes in mind- Is it worth doing the MBA?
Are there other programs who can give me same insight and capability?
But so far no luck.

I would greatly appreciate if you would lead me to any pointers in this direction.
Thanks again,
Arvind