Beaten and Highly Confused -- Really Need Experienced Advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
If this is long I apologize, but I am just at a loss. I can't take this process any further. I am a smart person, who always did well in school, but this testing process is having me question my sanity and overall intelligence. I am so frustrated because this test is making me feel stupid. Especially after today. Just to note that I have never scored below a 520 on a test. Even cold, I can do better than 500. Here were my scores leading up to the exam.

First Official GMAT Attempt: 530

2/21/2011 (590) Manhattan GMAT
2/26/2011 (600) Manhattan GMAT
3/08/2011 (610 37q 36v)Manhattan GMAT
3/13/2011 (640 43q, 33v) Manhattan GMAT
3/21/2011 (570 32q, 34v) Kaplan

I used the OG 11 and 12, Manhattan SC, Number Properties,and CR Bible. My hit rate on SC for the entire OG 12 was around 60% and my CR was even higher. I was actually getting a groove where I could expect the answer before I read it. I put in about 400 hours of study. Some days of 10 hours or more over the course of the last few months. I woke up this morning with a positive attitude and big breakfast as I knew I could get a good score. My tests were all scored under proper conditions (no cheating, timed conditions) and I knew my caliber of work.

Today I took the test and scored the lowest I have ever scored on a practice test by a long shot. My testing was a nightmare. I get nervous and my nervousness blocked my thought processes. I was seeing "easy" questions and didn't know what to do. I had been so used to the difficult questions in my prep, I had no idea if I was doing any manipulation correctly. Math was a little tough, even though I got a decent portion right and Verbal, I though went much better. When I finished, I knew I didn't get 600, but thought I was >550. I hit submit.

I received a 400 (q30v17).

I was in disbelief and confusion. I knew I didn't do well but a 400 is just ridiculous. I am lost and scared for my applications this round as my scores reported to schools are not only the 530, but a 400. I am not 400 caliber or work and to take the test over 15 times and have the lowest score be the one that counts is just disheartening.

Profile Advice?

The first time I took the test (December 28th) I scored a 530. I currently work at a family petroleum/travel business and have been for the last year. I am a young person, 24 years old with a 2005 Economics Degree from Rutgers University. I want to pursue an investment management or Finance MBA, work at consulting firm for a few years, then come back to my family business. The business is unique, which I highlighted in all my essays. Its the largest independently owned truck stop/travel center in the United States. It has 78 employees and 80 acres all of which are run by me and my uncle. I will soon take the mantle and want an MBA education to help me direct the business. My resume is great with work experiences from a big 4 investment bank, an internship in HR in Singapore and a year spent after school working at a criminal law firm.

I am applying to Pace, Fordham, Rutgers (part time), Seton Hall, and Baruch. My GPA is a 3.3 and my recommendations and essays are above par. My GMAT hovers around 30-50 points lower than the averages of all these schools but my GPA is at or above their averages. My goal was never to achieve a superstar score, I just needed 600+. I knew I was applying 3rd round, but since the schools weren't highly competitive I took the time to strengthen my app and retake the test. I submitted all my apps and scores today. Only a 530 is being accompanied by the 400.

My question and worry now is admission. I can't cancel this 400, but the schools will get it and wonder where it came from. I had a better chance with just the 530, but I feel that this ruins everything. I submitted these 5 applications today and am afraid that todays test screwed up everything.

Did I screw things up with todays score? What should I do? Advice?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:44 am
Surprised no one has replied to this.

Dont be disheartened by your score. Schools take the best of your scores.

If you are capable of 600 and want to achieve it, no reason for you to hold back. I honestly recommend taking the test once again and getting a better college next year than forcing yourself to compromise and take something this year.

You have submitted your apps. Let us see how it goes. But if not, you can take another shot at it. Apply in round 1 next year. What say? A year wont affect you lost in the long run.

If your get admit this year, hey all this worry would have been for nothing. Keep the faith!
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by upkarsgrewal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am
Thanks so much for your response Vineesh. I am just knocked down at the moment. It's frustrating to put in more effort, time, and energy only to come out with a lower score. My gameplan is just to emphasize that the most recent score isn't at all my potential and strengthen the other parts of the app.

I'll just wait and see. Thanks for the help though, its great advice.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm
Hi upkarsgrewal,

I'm sorry things took a turn for the worse for you.

The good news is, it's abundantly clear that only one thing is holding you back: your nerves. You've improved across the board in terms of your practice test scores. You've become more familiar with math, grammar, reasoning, and test-taking strategy; you don't have to worry about hitting the books for another hundred hours to fill in the gaps (though more studying never hurt either!) If you can stay cool, calm, and collected on your next test, you're sure to succeed.

So the real question is, what happened when you got that 400?

I wish I could give you an answer, but that is one that you have to figure out for yourself. I will say this, though: something specific happened. You got a 530 taking the test cold. There is no way the general nervousness knocked 130 points off your score. But what triggered this stress, and how it can be avoided, is a task for introspection. Did you stay up late the night before? Were your family or friends pressuring you? Have you been skipping meals or exercise?

Find the stressor, and eliminate it. You can succeed. And if you remember that, you will.

Good luck!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Followed by:1 members

by anasnet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 pm