WHY MBA???

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

WHY MBA???

by jeevakp103 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 pm
This is the most frequently asked and probably the most important question that any MBA candidate is likely to face in the interview. Though i know that this question is usually tailor made for each profile. But i want to request the experts and people here at BEATTHEGMAT to have a look at my profile and give me inputs regarding how should i go about preparing my answers. Though i have some answer prepared to shoot in the interview but how convincing this answer can be and what more can be added to this answer i need some help regarding that.
thanks

MY PROFILE

Educational Background- Doctor ( graduate in modern medicine)

Age - 26 years

Work Experience-
9 months ( in family clinic as clinician)
6 months( in cancer department as Resident )
10 months( in the same family clinic but as wellness advisor, introduced preventive care aspect for Diabetes and Heart Disease)

Total Work Ex- 2 years (till now)

Course Interested in - General MBA

Probable Answers that can be prepared for WHY MBA?

1) entrepreneur after completion of mba and take the family clinic to a bigger level of healthcare delivery
(giving stress on integrated medicine)

2) get into a corporate healthcare sector (consultancy, pharma etc) and learn different aspects of business management in practice and then expand the family business( after 5 years of exp)

these are some answers that are on my mind. I want to leverage my degree and work experience after doing MBA and vice verse. Though i want to get into healthcare sector itself may be as a different role.

But how can i convince the interview panel regarding th rationale of doing GENERAL MBA after this and how can i put the purpose of doing MBA into future goal..i am not clear with that
Kindly throw some light on how can diffeernt subjects taught int the General MBA course can help in the future career:)

Thanks and regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm
jeevakp103,

I personally like your first goal better because it allows you to use the MBA to build on your MD, whereas the second seems to involve departure from medicine, which the adcoms may find less credible. I am assuming that the "family business" referred to in the second goal is the same as the "family clinic" referred to in the first goal. If so, then how would working in consulting or pharma help your clinic? It seems much more persuasive to say that you need a GM MBA to learn the business fundamentals to grow the family clinic both as a business and as distributor of health care.

Good luck,
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jeevakp103 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 am
So much thanks for the reply....
But can working as a consultant for some Healthcare Company and learning all the subject knowledge in practice over the time will give more confidence to take up the entrepreneur role with more effeciency. and with more exposure to the healthcare sector...by this time i will already be helping my parents with advice and business acumen i develop over the time??

thanks again :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:43 pm
jeevakp,

Sure, that line of reasoning could work as well.

Good luck,
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bizschoolprep » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:57 pm
jeevakp,

Both of the options are pretty close and could be used to answer "Why MBA" part of your application. However, make sure that it sounds sincere and can help you to connect your past to your future goals.
-BizSchoolPrep, MBA Admissions Consultant
www.bizschoolprep.com , Know what makes us different!