Didn't Beat The GMAT, but Over! Done! Need Game Plan!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
After nearly ten months of studying and three tests, I'm calling it quits on the GMAT, and concentrating on the rest of my application. My test scores are 480(Q37,V20), 560(Q42,V25), and 560(Q45,V23). None of the verbal scores make any sense because I scoring in the mid-30s during practice exams, but there's no use complaining about them. I'll take what I got. I have already put away all the GMAT material into the closet. Another look will make me sick. I'll just have to make my case the best I can in the optional essays.

Application deadlines are coming up in about a month or two, and I need a game plan. I have already sent the transcripts, which I think are fairly good, and one of my recommenders is done with his part, which I am very thankful for. I have visited all the schools I plan to apply, so I can best customize the essays, the only thing left.

I'm applying to UC Irvine, U of Washington, and USC, but if I get into UW, I probably won't bother with USC.

Any suggetions on the rest of my process will be great.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by odannyboi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm
I would seriously consider retaking.. you have pretty good math scores, try studying verbal for another month and retake, you aren't far off from scoring in the high 600s.

Right now, your GMAT scores are around 100 points below the school averages (UCI has a 675, USC, 690.. don't know about UW, but I would assume high 600s).

You should try one more time.. or atleast apply to a safe school (I think Washington state has a gmat average of about 560) Alot of CA schools are hard to get into especially with those scores (even a San Fran state would require a gmat of 580!)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:08 am
I agree with odannyboi. You shouldn't hasten up. Until and unless your profile is exceptionally good, chances are thin that you'll be accepted at the schools you've mentioned. You may want to retake the GMAT and then apply after sometime. I remember last year some of my friends had applied to UC Irvine in Feb/March and had managed to get admits with good scholarships. So instead of trying to hurry up thinking that you'll miss the deadlines bandwagon, you should pull your socks up,beat the devil the Verbal section ,get a good score and then happily apply. You may even want to wait for another year and apply next year. But I tell you,it'll be worth the wait!