is gmat really a major obstacle in applying?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I took gmat yesterday and got a 570. obviously it is deemed as bad score.

I was so disappointed because it was my second time to take the exam.

I got a even worse at the first time. I tried to find out what was the problem, and I thought that the failure might because I didn't commit myself to it. I decided to respect this exam and started to learn every odds and ends about GMAT.

I read "princeton Crack the GMAT" to get familiar with this exam
I digged into the Manhattan SC to build up a concrete concept about grammar
I studied Powerscore to understand fully the logic fallacies
I read 3 passages a day to train my reading
Finally of course I did a OG12 twice, blue Verbal, 5 Manhattan Cats and 3 Prep to apply the theory and pace myself.

I thought my schedule was good and I became more confident at this exam. Of course I couldn't make it perfect. I had to admit that I could not get a 700 within 1 month, but I didn't expect a <600. I don't think I deserve it.

When I retrospected this time, I found that I already built up an OG-way of thinking when doing the excise. Brick by brick, I realized that GMAT is not unconqurable! It is just an exam~I learned a lot in this month. At this moment, although the best way might be to do it again, I didn't want to think about retake! I stopped and asked why should I stick myself on this exam for so long and long that I seem to forget what I do all of this for!

At most of the time, I think I feel intimidated because I hear so many people say 680 is bad, 700 is not good enough. In fact, can anybody tell me how many people get 700+. Do all of we have to go Wharton, Sloan? I know that there be the best place to go, and thinking of going there is aggressive and enterprising, but I have to say stuck on a score make me really feel uncomfortable.

At the end, is GMAT a really big problem in getting into business school? Are the schools ranked blow 60 or 80 so bad that people all want to get a high score to "avoid" them? Is it ture that a 570 cannot go anywhere?
it is not an "alice in wonderland". it is real! i am going to freak GMAT out!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by InkyBinky » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 am
I get annoyed with people pretending they're not satisfied with their top 1% scores, too. But 570 is not "bad". It is actually right at the 55% percentile of MBA-bound college graduates. In other words, you're at the 55% of probably the top 20% of the population. Now it is not a competitive score for the top schools like Wharton or Sloan and it would be next to impossible to get in there with a score like that. But the average GMAT score breaks below the 600 barrier, according to US News & World Reports, at the 66th-ranked MBA program (University of Utah). You would probably be a good contender at schools ranked below the top-50 and for some in the top 50 with a 570 GMAT.

Now this might not satisfy everyone's aspirations, but plenty of people have done well going to schools that are not top-ranked. Success is, in my opinion, defined by the individual. It just so happens that success-oriented people tend to congregate together at the top schools.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by seanceserene » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 am
InkyBinky wrote:I get annoyed with people pretending they're not satisfied with their top 1% scores, too. But 570 is not "bad". It is actually right at the 55% percentile of MBA-bound college graduates. In other words, you're at the 55% of probably the top 20% of the population. Now it is not a competitive score for the top schools like Wharton or Sloan and it would be next to impossible to get in there with a score like that. But the average GMAT score breaks below the 600 barrier, according to US News & World Reports, at the 66th-ranked MBA program (University of Utah). You would probably be a good contender at schools ranked below the top-50 and for some in the top 50 with a 570 GMAT.

Now this might not satisfy everyone's aspirations, but plenty of people have done well going to schools that are not top-ranked. Success is, in my opinion, defined by the individual. It just so happens that success-oriented people tend to congregate together at the top schools.
Thank you for your information.
I also want to know what is the difference between the school ranked top and ranked below 50. Faculties, facilities, employment rates after graduation...?
it is not an "alice in wonderland". it is real! i am going to freak GMAT out!

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:02 am
seanceserene wrote:
InkyBinky wrote:I get annoyed with people pretending they're not satisfied with their top 1% scores, too. But 570 is not "bad". It is actually right at the 55% percentile of MBA-bound college graduates. In other words, you're at the 55% of probably the top 20% of the population. Now it is not a competitive score for the top schools like Wharton or Sloan and it would be next to impossible to get in there with a score like that. But the average GMAT score breaks below the 600 barrier, according to US News & World Reports, at the 66th-ranked MBA program (University of Utah). You would probably be a good contender at schools ranked below the top-50 and for some in the top 50 with a 570 GMAT.

I also want to know what is the difference between the school ranked top and ranked below 50. Faculties, facilities, employment rates after graduation...?
To add to that, you could get into schools ranked below 25, but above 50.. ASU (ranked around 25-30 I believe) is one of them where I know GMAT range is in the low 600's and the placements are actually really good.. this is what i've heard.I know ASU would be my back up if I can't get a score over 650. :)
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
seanceserene wrote:

To add to that, you could get into schools ranked below 25, but above 50.. ASU (ranked around 25-30 I believe) is one of them where I know GMAT range is in the low 600's and the placements are actually really good.. this is what i've heard.I know ASU would be my back up if I can't get a score over 650. :)
ASU..you meant arizona state?
Avg gmat is 673 over der...

https://wpcarey.asu.edu/mba/full-time/ad ... tional.cfm

by InkyBinky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:19 am
I have the US News Business School ranking subscription and their numbers show something similar to the poster above: Arizona State's tenth percentile GMAT score is 620 (i.e. 90% score higher than 620).

I think it would be very difficult (albeit possible) to get into a top 50 with a GMAT of 570. Texas A&M (ranked 33) has a 10%ile of 570 and Michigan State (ranked 46) has a 10%tile of 550. And both of their acceptance rates are below 30%. I'm not saying it's impossible, but these seem like "reach" schools for someone with a score of 570.
Last edited by InkyBinky on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by beatthegmatinsept » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 am
adi_800 wrote:
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
seanceserene wrote:

ASU..you meant arizona state?
Avg gmat is 673 over der...

https://wpcarey.asu.edu/mba/full-time/ad ... tional.cfm
I am from ASU myself (undergrad), and I have coworkers who got an MBA from there scoring well below 600. (they actually make fun of me cuz they see me studying during lunch and talk about their gmat experience). Again, my coworkers being Az resident might have factored in to this, but its possible to get into ASU with a < 600 score.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by beatthegmatinsept » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 am
But on the other hand, one of my friends got into ASU with a full scholarship with a GMAT score of 710 about five years ago. So I guess ASU has a very broad range of scores of students getting in.

by InkyBinky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 pm
The 10-90 percentile range at ASU is, according the US News and World Reports, 620-720.

by beatthegmatinsept » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:22 pm
InkyBinky wrote:The 10-90 percentile range at ASU is, according the US News and World Reports, 620-720.
Maybe both my coworkers got really lucky then :)