If x and y are positive integers

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

If x and y are positive integers

by GMAT Hacker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:36 am
If x and y are positive integers, what is the value of x + y ?

(1) 2^x 3^y = 72

(2) 2^x 2^y = 32

I will post the ans after some discussion.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nicolezl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 am
(1) The prime factorization of 72 is (2^3)(3^3), which looks just like the equation given, so x=3, y=2, and x+y=5.

Sufficient

(2) Can be re-written as 2^(x+y)=32, so x+y=5.

Sufficient

Answer is D.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 am
nicolezl wrote:(1) The prime factorization of 72 is (2^3)(3^3), which looks just like the equation given, so x=3, y=2, and x+y=5.

Sufficient

(2) Can be re-written as 2^(x+y)=32, so x+y=5.

Sufficient

Answer is D.
nicely done, although you did make one mistake -- the prime factorization of 72 is (3^2)(2^3). (you had a 3 instead of the red '2'.)

i'd like to point out that you don't even have to form the actual prime factorization of 72 -- i.e., you don't have to spend the time to break 72 down into 3x3x2x2x2 -- if you realize that statement (1) has the form of a prime factorization.
instead, if you just realize that prime factorizations are unique -- i.e., that there is only one way to make the prime factorization of any given number -- then you will instantly realize that there must be a single combination of x and y that satisfies statement (1). if there were two or more such combinations, then you would have a violation of the rule that prime factorizations are unique.

on the other hand, since statement (2) is not a prime factorization, you should actually do the math that nicole has done in this post.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron