Please Evaluate and Advice

by be_ms_mba » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:13 pm
Hi,
My Profile:

BE in Electronics Engineering from Mumbai University: 62%
MS in Electrical Engineering from University of Southern California, LA: 3.5GPA
GMAT: 700
Work Ex:
I have around 3 years of Work Exp with a Telecom Company in the US working on Mobile Application Services as a Software Engineer.
My short term MBA goal is to be able to work in telecom industry in Asian Market as a sales representative for the company, understand the intricacies in business deals from sales perspective, try to sell ideas and products etc..
My long term envision is to establish a start up in India based on Mobile services.

I want to pursue an MBA in Asia. I am currently investigating: NTU, INSEAD, ISB and NUS.
I would like to know the following:
1) Evaluate my profile for aforementioned universities.
2) Suggest if I should make my application around a specific MBA specialization? Also, while evaluating these schools, do i look at any specific MBA specialization.
3) NTU offers specialization in Technology, would you recommend this given my goals!

Any feedback from you is highly appreciated. Looking forward to you response! Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 pm
Dear be_ms_mba -

Thanks very much for reaching out to us with your questions.

As you probably know, as a male Indian engineer, you will need to refine your story for WHY you want and need an MBA and how you plan to use it to advance your career post MBA. I think your vision of going into sales and business development is fine, but say how you think you are suited for that role and why you desire it.

As for the schools you mention, mbaMission specializes in North American and European business school programs, but based on my limited research, it sounds like you have a chance at the schools you list. INSEAD is the "reach" among them. I would say that you may want to think about narrowing your career goals a bit in terms of geography and where you ideally would like to work after school. The alumni base and recruiting prospects from ISB are very different than they are from NTU. As for selecting Technology as your academic focus, I do not think that should weigh heavily in your selection process at this point. I would suggest you do a bit more research on each school's career placement programs in an effort to zero in on where you believe you would be a best fit.

I hope this helps.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process