Manned spaceflight

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Manned spaceflight

by Sunny22uk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:57 am
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.
Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward’s argument as a response to Teresa’s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(C) It raises a consideration that outweighs the argument Teresa makes.
(D) It does not meet Teresa’s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa’s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

OA after some discussions
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore.

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:09 pm
its between D and E..

Imo:D

Not E because
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
it discusses about better cost-effective means..(which is d fundamental issue..)

But E talks about d fundamental issue- priority over other claims on the national budget

let me know if i am wrong..

thx

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by preetha_85 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 am
Hi

I dont think it can be E coz Teresa compares only manned space flights nd unmanned ones.. nd not the option of not having space flights at all.. .
I think E conveys whether national budget can be put 2 better use by not having space activities.
space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

by drgmatIL » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:02 am
I don't think we talk about national budget but rather on objectives of spaceflight. E out for me
I think D because we are talking about 2 issues

Followed by:1 members

by NSNguyen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:57 am
IMO: C
Please share your idea and your reasoning :D
https://bmnmed.com/home/
https://nguyensinguyen.vietnam21.org

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:30 am
IMO D

the national budget seems a little out of scope

by Sunny22uk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:45 pm
thanks everyone, OA is indeed D
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore.

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 am
National budget is out of scope so D is correct.

NSNguyen its not c because
It is not trying to outweigh Teresa argument rather it is assuming something else.

Let me know if you require more detailed explanation :)

by jessica.ng1988 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 am
HI All,
I find out on the 1000CR,
the OA is C :-?

by jessica.ng1988 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 am
HI All,

by anju » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 pm
jessica.ng1988 wrote:HI All,
Can someone confirm the validity of answers in 1000 CR?

Thanks,

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by garima01 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 am
my question is why is C incorrect?
HOW TO ELIMINATE (C)?

Teresa: Talks about economic issues.(manned satellite has no future because of economic reasons)
Edward: talks about reliability issues.
No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability
=> manned spaceflight is the ONLY RELIABLE mode of human transportation and therefore it has positive future.

since the manned spaceflight is the ONLY RELIABLE mode so i think it outweighs the economic reasons cited for not having positive future.

PLEASE HELP

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:03 am
Sunny22uk wrote:Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.
Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward�s argument as a response to Teresa�s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(D) It does not meet Teresa�s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa�s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

OA after some discussions
hmhm if the answer is D, i dont understand. i pick C because terresa conluded that manned spacefight does not have a future because it cant compete ECONOMICALLY with other means
and Eward reputed that manned spaceflight has a future because its safe

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm
i think D more put light on the manned spaceflight than option C

hence D must be the answer

100CR like 1000 SC may not be correct source of answer so better stick to logics than answers. u cant get excat quaestions in actual GMAT there u have to apply your own logics