Screwed up with 550

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

Screwed up with 550

by beat_gmat_09 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:27 am
Hi guys,

I've been practising for GMAT from the last 3 months, took kaplan course, did every problem from it, took all the quizzes, strengthened my vocabulary for RC, took 8 CATs and averaged 670 on those, but had a hard time on the actual GMAT.
screwed up with a 550 (scaled quant-48 percentile-83%, scaled verbal-19 percentile-16%), i really didnt believe the lousy percentile i got on verbal. I wasnt that bad on verbal, i used to get 80 % on SC questions, RC 60% and CR 40%. Wasnt able to digest the score for verbal. The bad part was, on the verbal section, I easily got distracted by the traffic and honking horns, these Pearson VUE test centers are not totally confined in glass walls and the ear plugs are just darn, a mess of my dreamed career, waste of money and an waste of my diligient attempt.

I am planning for a retake, can anyone please suggest strategies/methods for verbal or which good test series i should take ?

Many Thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jonnymba » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:56 pm
I am sorry you have had a hard time with verbal. I was in the same situation (especially with SC). Have a look at my debrief. Maybe it will help.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-i-conque ... tml#263496

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashim88 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:30 pm
beat_gmat_09 wrote:Hi guys,

I've been practising for GMAT from the last 3 months, took kaplan course, did every problem from it, took all the quizzes, strengthened my vocabulary for RC, took 8 CATs and averaged 670 on those, but had a hard time on the actual GMAT.
screwed up with a 550 (scaled quant-48 percentile-83%, scaled verbal-19 percentile-16%), i really didnt believe the lousy percentile i got on verbal. I wasnt that bad on verbal, i used to get 80 % on SC questions, RC 60% and CR 40%. Wasnt able to digest the score for verbal. The bad part was, on the verbal section, I easily got distracted by the traffic and honking horns, these Pearson VUE test centers are not totally confined in glass walls and the ear plugs are just darn, a mess of my dreamed career, waste of money and an waste of my diligient attempt.

I am planning for a retake, can anyone please suggest strategies/methods for verbal or which good test series i should take ?

Many Thanks.
Your verbal score makes sense based on the fact that I've already found over 5 grammatical errors in this passage from a quick read-through. practicing* diligent* wasn't* x 2

by beat_gmat_09 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 am
Ashim88 wrote:
beat_gmat_09 wrote:Hi guys,

Many Thanks.
Your verbal score makes sense based on the fact that I've already found over 5 grammatical errors in this passage from a quick read-through. practicing* diligent* wasn't* x 2
Dude,

I had asked for suggestions and not a review of my post.
You are also forgetting that SC is 1/3 part of verbal.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 am
Veritas Prep really helped me. I was able to develop a consistent approach to RC and CR which helped me to really nail those question types. I never got SC down, so I can't help you there.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashim88 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 am
I apologize for being rude beat gmat 09, I was having a terrible day....

by beat_gmat_09 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 am
Ashim88 wrote:I apologize for being rude beat gmat 09, I was having a terrible day....

Its ok.
I will be happy if you share any experiences/useful info.

Thanks