a couple of GPA and GMAT questions

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

a couple of GPA and GMAT questions

by pc80 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 pm
All,

First Question
===========

How do programs see the GMAT? Do they consider the entire score or a split? My score is 730 (96%) and my split is Q/V = 50/38 with an AWA of 6.0. I personally feel that my verbal is very low. Would the low verbal score cause a problem? I understand the Q and the AWA are good. How do part time MBA programs especially Booth (weekend), Kellogg(weekend) and Ross(evening) take the verbal...experts anyone know?

Second Question
============

I did decently well in my undergrad (an Indian grad). Then came over to do my Masters and got a GPA of 3.5 (which i guess isnt miserable). But I got a 'C' in one course and retook it and got a B+...but it didnt get counted towards my GPA. I havent written anything about it in my essay either (as to why i retook it)...would it cause an issue?

PS - I have already submitted my app for these 3 schools.

Third Question
===========

I know 730 is a decent score for the GMAT. But will it matter upon your country of origin? Like...since I am from India...do some schools expect the score to be above 750 etc because I am from India? I heard this somewhere...and it kinda makes sense...because...a majority of the indians who apply are from the IT sector and a good number of them have a 700+...so what would the distinguishing factor be? I understand there are a lot more criteria other than the GMAT..but is there a distinction within the GMAT score itself based on the country of origin?

Thanks a ton
Last edited by pc80 on Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm
1) The split is not as important as the overall, and b-schools are less concerned with the verbal score than the quant.

2) Your GPA is nothing to explain--you made the right choice. You really don't even need to explain the occasional C grade, so don't fret.

3) Your country of origin comes into play in the application process, but is not connected to your GMAT. You will be "competing" against others from your "pool," which means yes, against other Indian applicants, and trust me, not all Indian applicants are getting a 7-handle on their GMATS.

All things considered, you should be competitive.

Good luck.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by pc80 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:52 pm
Thanks Bryant...I really appreciate your reply.