facing problem with SC only 50% right

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

facing problem with SC only 50% right

by arun0073 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 am
while prepaing for SC i am gettin only 50 to 60 percent right .i am usin og 11th edition and kaplan pre prog 2008 edition.plz tel how shud i improve ?
Arun Gupta

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by blaster » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 am
Manhattan SC . very useful.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:42 members

by arpita@gurome » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 am
GMAT SCs test you only on a handful of grammar concepts - Subject-Verb Agreement, Pronoun Errors, Parallel Construction Errors, Modifier Errors, Verb-Tense Errors, Idiom Errors, and a few Stylistic Errors.

If you understand these key concepts, it may minimize the scope of error. It is also important for you to know which category of SCs you are getting wrong. Are they typically the very long ones? Are they the ones that test you on a specific concept such a parallel construction error or a modifier error.

The books that you have referred to are good books to have, but you may want to go back to the concepts first and understand them well enough.
Arpita Sen
Verbal and Admissions Expert
Gurome, Inc.
www.GuroMe.com
Win a free MBA essay review: https://bit.ly/toZumc

1-800-566-4043
+91 99201 32411 (India)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by arun0073 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:17 pm
arpita@gurome wrote:GMAT SCs test you only on a handful of grammar concepts - Subject-Verb Agreement, Pronoun Errors, Parallel Construction Errors, Modifier Errors, Verb-Tense Errors, Idiom Errors, and a few Stylistic Errors.

If you understand these key concepts, it may minimize the scope of error. It is also important for you to know which category of SCs you are getting wrong. Are they typically the very long ones? Are they the ones that test you on a specific concept such a parallel construction error or a modifier error.

The books that you have referred to are good books to have, but you may want to go back to the concepts first and understand them well enough.
dear arpita,

i have got ur point but cud not understand wat u mean to say in the last sentence.
i have gone tru all practise question in og and kaplan premier program hence need more practise question to analyse my self.also wich bookwil u suggest for better prep of verbal part of gmat
Arun Gupta

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:42 members

by arpita@gurome » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm
Hi Arun,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to endorse any particular book. I would rather have your fellow students answer that question.

But if there is any particular concept you do not understand, I could help you with that. :)
Arpita Sen
Verbal and Admissions Expert
Gurome, Inc.
www.GuroMe.com
Win a free MBA essay review: https://bit.ly/toZumc

1-800-566-4043
+91 99201 32411 (India)