OG 12 - 129

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG 12 - 129

by vineetbatra » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm
Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words.

(A) to which has been added English, Spanish and Italian words
(B) added to which is English, Spanish, and Italian words
(C) to which English, Spanish, and Italian words have been added
(D) with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it
(E) and, in addition, English, Spanish, and Italian words are added

Why is D and E incorrect.

For D OG says that With does not modify the noun French, per my understanding with is an adverbial modifier without a comma, so it modifies the noun next to it.

For E OG says that the verb tense is incorrect, not sure how, also what is the function of in addition?

GMAT Score:720

by analyst218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:15 pm
OA C

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 am
Hello,

The OA is C, but can someone please answer my questions.

Thanks,

Vineet

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:52 pm
I've only recently begun studying for the GMAT, but I feel like throwing in my 2 cents about why I feel Choice 'D' is incorrect.

If we opt for Choice 'D', it yields:

Cajuns speak a dialect brought to southern Louisiana by the four thousand Acadians who migrated there in 1755; their language is basically seventeenth-century French with English, Spanish, and Italian words having been added to it.

At the very least, I believe a comma is necessary between the words "French" and "with". Otherwise, it looks like Cajun is basically seventeenth-century French with English, with the Spanish and Italian words being added.

Also, I think "having been added", the past participle form of the verb, is incorrect. Even though Cajun is partially defined by the French language of the past, the Cajun language itself is being considered in the present day (i.e. Cajuns speak (not "spoke")). Therefore, I think "have been added" is necessary, since it's the simple present perfect tense.

Maybe I'm way off with my reasoning, or maybe I'm in the "neighborhood". Anyway, that's how I see it.