Einstein

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Einstein

by vscid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 pm
After moving to Switzerland in the 1890's, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

1]attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing

2]attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

3]attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed

4]attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing

5]attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 pm
The correct answer is 3.

The question is checking for modifiers and parallelism .

In 1 and 2 receiving is modifying the School in Zurich where as it should modify Einstein .

In 4 the parallelism is not maintained the verbs should be attended , received and developed and not developing .

5 is wrong as the sentence lacks a working verb , attending should be attended.

So only correct answer is 3 as it clearly shows the parallelism X, Y and Z that is attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed .

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by neelimareddym » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm
IMO A..
In the original sentence, the main verb "attended" is expressed in past tense and the two subordinate actions in the form of the gerund. This construction correctly indicates that "receiving" and developing" followed as a consequence of Einstein's attendance of "the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich."

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by girish3131 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm
common sense is not common... huh...!

but then what's harms in trying.... atleast

If not understand till yet then keep reading...

DON"T PUT QUESTIONS PUT WITHOUT OFFICIAL ANSWERS....!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 am
I agree 1 is the correct answer .

Indeed receiving and developing are correctly used. Please ignore my previous explanation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 am
vscid wrote:After moving to Switzerland in the 1890's, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.
IMO A

many a times i fall in the trap in such question when i just go for llelism
here the verb attended , receiving and developing need not to be llel;bcoz attended is the main verb followed by two action happening at the same time
so the verb receiving and and developing needs to be llel in form
hence chioce 2 and 4 are eliminated
3rd is wrng bcoz the clause starting with rec..d and deve..d refers to a diif action taken place at diff location and hence changes the meaning
5...is wrng bcoz attending is progressive form of verb and hence changes the meaning

Hence A