Accuracy of the practice GMAT tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Accuracy of the practice GMAT tests

by alex7773 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:22 pm
Hello,

I have started studying for the GMAT 2 days ago. 2 days ago I have written a GMAT practice test out of the Kaplan 2006 GMAT book and got 610 (Q22/V29). I have then read Manhattans fractions, decimals and percents. Today I wrote Manhattans free online GMAT test and scored 680 (Q47/V36). I don't think that Manhattans book had any major impact on my change in performance.

Has anyone else experienced a huge disparity between their scores as I did? Also, does anyone have their track record for the various practice tests and then the actual test?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm
Kaplan recently updated their scoring algorithm. The Kaplan score isn't accurate, use those CATS for practice and pacing, but do not worry about the scores. From my experience, I would say MGMAT, and GMAT prep are the most accurate CATS you can take. Save the GMAT prep CATs for last though, they are made by GMAC and it is the same software and format of the actual exam, so save those for last.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 pm
but wouldn't the Kaplan V score be more accurate?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm
money9111 wrote:but wouldn't the Kaplan V score be more accurate?
Nah, the Kaplan verbal, if anything, is more difficult than the GMAT verbal. Also, the way they scored the entire test was wrong. It wasn't based on the level of questions you got right, but only on how many you got right total

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm
osirus0830 wrote:
Nah, the Kaplan verbal, if anything, is more difficult than the GMAT verbal. Also, the way they scored the entire test was wrong. It wasn't based on the level of questions you got right, but only on how many you got right total
is this true even after they updated their scoring algo?

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm
sars72 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:
is this true even after they updated their scoring algo?
Nah, the updated algo is fine. I was referring to his case since he has Kaplan materials from 06

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:770

by amitchell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:28 am
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

At Kaplan, we continually tweak our scoring algorithm, to ensure that taking CATs with us is the most realistic practice possible and that scores on our CATs are the closest thing to the GMAT outside of the GMAT itself. A few more specific notes:

+ Our students' CAT scores are accurate to the GMAT, on average. The 2006 tests were scored a bit harder but there is no comparable trend by our current scoring algorithm.

+ GMATPrep tests downloadable from MBA.com are an accurate study aid. We recommend them to our students as an important supplement to our 9 CATs.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew Mitchell

GMAT Instructor
Assistant Director of GMAT & GRE
Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions