Another SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

Another SC

by heshamelaziry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 pm
Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows

that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from

that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of

living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from

that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than

OA

[spoiler]B. What is the problem with parallism in D that is not in B ? What is wrong with "Whose coloring" in D ?[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:19 pm
...a new speices of sparrow that...., IS .....
After <that...>, we need a verb that corresponds to the subject. However, D doesn't have the verb, so it looks run-on sentence.
Make it simple:
<a new species of sparrow>,<modifier>,<is....., and has....>
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 am
B sounds perfect to me than D for these reasons,

1. new species of sparrow that ...., is almost wholly

here, "is" is required in the sentence because "that" introduces a different clause.

2. new species of sparrow that .. , whose coloring is.

This sentence can be better formed by changing "whose" to "has". "whose" sounds unfamiliar or awkward with respect to animals/birds.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am
I still can't understand the need for "is", is its use here the same as that of "and" or "but" to link to independent clauses ?

Are there any rules for when to use "whose" ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hk_4u » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:17 am
Hi Stuart

that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

In ans choice D , can we say that lives and whose coloring are parallel ?

The reason why D is wrong is that almost wholly dependent modifier groves - not the intended meaning of the sentence

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 am
papgust wrote:B sounds perfect to me than D for these reasons,

1. new species of sparrow that ...., is almost wholly

here, "is" is required in the sentence because "that" introduces a different clause.

2. new species of sparrow that .. , whose coloring is.

This sentence can be better formed by changing "whose" to "has". "whose" sounds unfamiliar or awkward with respect to animals/birds.
I agree.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 am
the above s/c gives information about action done by the new species of sparrow , and in that it needs to keep all the things llel
now in
aERR1) almost is a noun modifier and modifies groves which is INCORRECT;
ERR2)whose refer to trees and not to sparrow which is INcorrect
ERR)as there is no linking verb in the part of the s/c starting with almost wholly .........trees it creates a error in llelism of verb
err4) comparison err

b)correct all err taken care
c)err1) living tells about a specific sparrow but the s/c is inteded to all type of sparrow of this new species
err2)whose refer to trees and not to sparrow which is INcorrect
err3) lacking IS before living and using ing form of verb creates a llelism err

d)err:same as in A except comparison
e)err: comparison
living tells about a specific sparrow but the s/c is inteded to all type of sparrow of this new species

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mgmt_gmat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 am
Here in Choice (B)....new species of sparrow takes the subject form for the remaining part of the sentence. Hence "is" and "has colouring" is used. Moreover, ",and whose is wrong". I think " , whose" is correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by kstv » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 am
Leaving aside the modifying phrase ' almost wholly dependent......grows on cypress trees' the sentence becomes manageable.
whose coloring is confusing as to whether it refers to the sparrow or the vine
Option B removes the confusion