panda

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

panda

by gmatmachoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 am
Found only in Sichuan, the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves and eats two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, they feed for 12 to 16 hours a day.

A. giant pandas roam the mountainous government-protected reserves and eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, feeding for 12 to 16 hours a day.

B. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves, they eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and with so much feeding, up to 12 to 16 hours a day.

C. giant pandas roam the mountainous government-protected reserves eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and feed for 12 to 16 hours a day.

D. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves eating two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests and feeding for 12 to 16 hours a day.

E. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves eats two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and it feeds for 12 to 16 hours a day.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:11 am
gmatmachoman wrote:Found only in Sichuan, the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves and eats two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, they feed for 12 to 16 hours a day.

A. giant pandas roam the mountainous government-protected reserves and eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, feeding for 12 to 16 hours a day.

B. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves, they eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and with so much feeding, up to 12 to 16 hours a day.

C. giant pandas roam the mountainous government-protected reserves eat two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and feed for 12 to 16 hours a day.

D. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves eating two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests and feeding for 12 to 16 hours a day.

E. the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves eats two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, and it feeds for 12 to 16 hours a day.
my pick is C

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 am
Komal,

Plz try it again..

Clue: Superficial & actual parallelism.. I remember somewhere u posted reg this..but u need to apply it now!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shehzadkhawar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am
Dear,
Why C and why not E?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rohan_vus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 am
Found only in Sichuan, the giant panda roams the mountainous government-protected reserves and eats two species of bamboo that grow in the mixed forests, they feed for 12 to 16 hours a day.

It should be D , as while roaming pandas will eat and feed . llelism holds true but be careful about applying absolute llelism . If activities oocur at same time as other actvity you need to use verb+ing form .

But am just curious if its a typo here . See bold statements in the quote . is'nt A supposed to be same as original sentence ?.

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 am
yeah nice catch man!!

But BTW rohan, I am not able to see ur replies in CR section!! ANy specific reason?

OA :D

GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 am
feeding is based on "eat two species of bamboo"...looks ok
,"they" is wrong . "eating" should follow the comma
there should be a comma before "eat". Also, feed is treated as a seperate action. Feed should be dependant on "eat".
there should be a comma before eating.
eats should be preceeded by "and"

--> A is the correct answer (hopefully)

by rohan_vus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am
gmatmachoman wrote:yeah nice catch man!!

But BTW rohan, I am not able to see ur replies in CR section!! ANy specific reason?

OA :D
Well its on and off situation here for me.Job kinda sucking too much of time here beyond what i normally expected.

Its been office shutdown since 2 days becoz of snow blizzard here , so working from home and that way can just peep into this forum .

But i certainly would say , this forum is the the liveliest of the ones i have seen . If you have real limited choices to go for, beatthegamt is certainly one of them and you guys really keep it going.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sallespadua » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:31 pm
I agree that "eating" require a comma in (d) because "-ing" gives the idea of a consequence. IMO E.

In (a) "They" is wrong because it must relate to panda in the singular form.