To old for a top MBA program

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

To old for a top MBA program

by Scott1969 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:08 am
I will be 42 when I graduate university with honors. My goal to attend a top B-School such as Harvard, London School of Business, etc. Am I too old? Recently I have been reading the student statics and no one seems to be over the age of 38? Getting worried!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm
I'm not sure if this is available at those two schools but what about an Executive MBA program?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by ccairncross » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 pm
I recently graduated from UCLA Anderson and we had a handful of people in their late 30's but cannot recall anyone in their 40's. Most people who of that genre had a lot of experience and were looking to enhance their knowledge, not to simply use bschool as a stepping stone to get into banking, consulting or CPG. You should be aware that most of the program both socially and career recruiting wise will not be relevant or focused on you. That being said there is a social group for everyone and from what I can tell b school is a lot less cliquey than ugrad. [/spoiler]
Chase
Grockit Tutor

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 am
I would imagine that if your story is compelling enough, you might be able to get in. I still think an EMBA would be more of your speed.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ManhattanReview » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:34 am
Scott1969 wrote:I will be 42 when I graduate university with honors. My goal to attend a top B-School such as Harvard, London School of Business, etc. Am I too old? Recently I have been reading the student statics and no one seems to be over the age of 38? Getting worried!
As Money9111 suggests, you might want to look into an Exec MBA program. What is your previous professional experience?

If you'd like, you can send us your candidacy profile. We offer a free candidacy evaluation that you may find useful. If you're interested, just email us at [email protected]. Let us know that you came from BeattheGMAT forum in the subject line and we'll be sure to give you extra special attention ;)

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 pm
the only thing is... HBS doesn't offer an EMBA program. not sure about London though...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Aman verma » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 am
Scott1969 wrote:I will be 42 when I graduate university with honors. My goal to attend a top B-School such as Harvard, London School of Business, etc. Am I too old? Recently I have been reading the student statics and no one seems to be over the age of 38? Getting worried!
If you were contemplating joining MBA at 42+ you must have thought about it and must have a desire to do it. Why look for anybody's opinion and you should know it's never too late. I am now almost about half of your age but if I were of your age I would have definitely gone for the MBA if that be my desire.Why look at the surroundings or the general statistics? Do what your heart desires and follow your heart to the fullest and I am sure you can do the MBA from the desired University.There is no point in giving a half hearted effort and you will get nowhere with a half hearted effort.
And even if you feel you are too old ,it is a good opportunity to set an example for others that MBA can be done at any age,that nothing is impossible !!
Now regarding the practical aspects of admission there are occassionally few students of your age. Please do research by going to the specific universities websites , talk to the professors or admission committees of the universities through the INTERNET . I am sure you will find something positive from them.

I would really like to see you admitted to the MBA if you trully desire it from your heart.Believe me, follow your heart and you can achieve anything. Don't bother about any stigma or shame cause these things are in reality of no significance where excellence is concerned.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm
nicely said Aman verma! just to clarify though, I don't think anyone was discouraging Scott1969 from applying.... but there needs to be some level of practicality and truthfulness in our responses. Scott1969 said that they were getting worried, and I think that's a valid concern given the circumstances. can the concern be overcome? i'm sure in some instances... but it's good to know that it's a point of discussion because quite frankly it will come up in any interview