The writings of Emily Dickinson,..........

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

The writings of Emily Dickinson,..........

by swati.sug » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:07 pm
The writings of Emily Dickinson, considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, were attempts to capture the pain of love in a whimsical manner at odds with the stringent religious mores of the day.

AThe writings of Emily Dickinson, considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, were attempts

B Considered by many to be the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, Emily Dickinson’s writings were attempts

C Emily Dickinson, who is considered by many as the greatest of the nineteenth century poets, attempted in her writings

D Considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, Emily Dickinson had attempted in her writings

E Emily Dickinson, considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, attempted in her writings

Hi ,Plz tell me the problem with C

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 pm
Option C is wordy and awkward. It is also grammatically incorrect.

C Emily Dickinson, who is considered by many as the greatest of the nineteenth century poets, attempted in her writings

Correct
Emily Dickinson, who is considered by many one of the greatest poets of nineteenth century, attempted in her writings.

Option D is incorrect because of incorrect usage of past perfect tense.

Therefore Option E is correct.
Last edited by parallel_chase on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by reachac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 am
Considered here is used to mean the same as 'regarded as'. Fit it in C and see again.

"regarded as.........as" ...........two 'as' is awkward,isnt it.

As a rule 'whenever consider is used to mean regard as, it should directly be followed by the subject"

by Stockmoose16 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 am
reachac wrote:Considered here is used to mean the same as 'regarded as'. Fit it in C and see again.

As a rule 'whenever consider is used to mean regard as, it should directly be followed by the subject"
Actually, I think E is wrong, because the modifier is confusing.

"Emily Dickinson, considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, attempted in her writings"

"Many the greatest poet" sounds like other poets considered Emily Dickinson the greatest, when the sentence is trying to say, "most people considered Emily Dickinson the greatest poet."

I think it's C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:41 am
Stockmoose16 wrote:
reachac wrote:Considered here is used to mean the same as 'regarded as'. Fit it in C and see again.

"Emily Dickinson, considered by many the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, attempted in her writings"

"Many the greatest poet" sounds like other poets considered Emily Dickinson the greatest, when the sentence is trying to say, "most people considered Emily Dickinson the greatest poet."

I think it's C.
C can never be the correct answer because of incorrect idiom usage "considered as"

Considered -- correct
Considered to be ---incorrect
Considered as---incorrect.

Hence E is the answer.

by Stockmoose16 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:50 am
parallel_chase wrote:
Stockmoose16 wrote:

I think it's C.
C can never be the correct answer because of incorrect idiom usage "considered as"

Considered -- correct
Considered to be ---incorrect
Considered as---incorrect.

Hence E is the answer.
Did you read my above post on E? The modifier is wrong.

Legendary Member

by reachac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:34 am
Stockmoose16 wrote:

I think it's C.
Im sorry but I dont agree with you, After subsituting "regarded as" for "considered", I shall read the sentence like this
Emily Dickinson, regarded by many as the greatest poet of the nineteenth century, attempted in her writings

by drgmatIL » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am
guys,
C change the meaning of the original sentence.
In C we talk about Emili and not about her writings...
Considered must follow by direct object

IMO E
OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:54 pm
I eliminated option E coz which seems to refer to Susan Huntington Dickinson instead of letters. Looks like 'which' cannot refer to objects of prepositional phrase. Pls clarify. Tx

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 am
swati.sug wrote:

Hi ,Plz tell me the problem with C

The main point of the sentence is that Dickinson's letters to her sister-in-law outnumber her letters to anyone else. To emphasize this point, outnumber should be the main verb, and the description introduced by the passive verb were
written needs to be changed from a main clause to an adjectival phrase.

Problem with (C) is this :

(C) The verbs describing the letter-writing period need to be in parallel form and agree in tense-e.g., beginning and ending or that began and that ended; this is a fragment because it lacks a main verb for letters.