Profile Evaluation Please!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please!

by Verne_Lundquist » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:27 am
Hello all:

Going to start applying to business schools soon and wanted your insight!

My profile:

Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin, Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Cum. GPA 3.47
(I worked several internships in financial services industry during school year)
Masters in Finance: Bocconi University-Milan, I guess the translated GPA would be a 3.8+/4.0
Work experience: 2 years with an investment bank in Europe as an analyst
Foreign Languages: Italian (fluent), French (conversational)
(I am a duel citizen of Italy and USA, not sure if that makes a tangible positive difference or not)
GMAT: 740

Could you let me know which business schools (American) I should target?
I'm thinking:

Dream/Stretch with a bit of luck: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton
Sweet Spots: Kellogg, Columbia,Booth,Darden,Haas
Safeties: UCLA,Michigan,Duke,UNC

Let me know what you think about this and if there are any schools I should remove or add to the list.
Thanks so much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm
Dear Verne_Lundquist,

You do not indicate what your rationale is for going to business school in the US, so it is hard to suggest any schools for you in relation to your career goals. You have some great schools on your list that are advantageous for many careers. Based on the minimal information in your post, you have the foundation for a competitive application to any school. However, decisions will be made on more than your GMAT score, GPA and amount of work experience. Your essays, recommendations and interviews will be key to the ultimate decision. With regards to your assessment of your target schools in terms of reach, reasonable and safety, I don't know that I would necessarily consider any of the schools you call a "sweet spot" anything less than a reach for any applicant. Those are top 10 programs (depending on the ranking) that are highly selective, so there is no guarantee for any applicant. Likewise, I would not consider any of your safety schools to be a safety option for anyone as they are all top 20 programs and thus highly competitive as well. That's just my two cents there.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by jon82 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 pm
Verne,

Since you addressed the commmunity in your post, I will give you my two cents, as well. Firstly, I like your profile. I also have a high GMAT score, am an American, have good grades, and have a Masters degree from another country in a business related field. I also applied to three of the schools on your list (one from each category). So, I think I understand where you're coming from and I'm sure you will succeed wherever you go. But I am worried that you might be overconfident. Why? Your tone and rating system indicate to me that you think that most top 20 schools have their doors propped open for guys with your numbers. They don't and you will still need to open the doors with your essays, recs, interview, fit, and demonstrated teamwork, maturity and leadership. You may also need to defend one of your strengths: Why do you want an MBA if you already have an advanced degree in Finance? Be prepared for that.

You have the basics, for sure; but that is just the beginning. I am willing to bet that half of the people who apply to your "safeties" of Duke, UCLA, etc will have the basics (if not as stellar as your basic scores and experiece). They will approach their essays, letters of recommendation (that is a process), and interviews with passion. You will definitely need to compete with applicants with a 690 GMAT or a 3.0 GPA. They mop the floors every night in Uris Hall (Columbia - your sweet spot) with the halfhearted applications of overconfident candidates...

I'm probably misreading this whole thing, but this forum is a place where we help each other and you might benefit from my prospective. Good luck!

J