Getting worse, especially from paper-based to CAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640
I started out pretty well with the official GMAT prep-Tests1 (700) and 2 (700). Then I bought the Kaplan Online-Test Preparation and dropped to 680 in the Diagnostic Test. After three weeks of practice and the first three sessions of the Online-Preparation I dropped to 640 in the CAT 1. I am quite frustrated, because I expected to improve as I felt much more confident with the questions after the preparation. Are the paper-based tests systematically easier than the CAT?

In the paper-based preparation tests I was much better in verbal (41, 39) than in quantitative (44, 42). That's why I focused on the quantitative part in my training and felt to improve very much during the preparation. Now this relationship turned around and I got 44 Q and 32 V. What might have gone wrong?

I had timing problems in the quantitative section of the CAT, but that goes the same for the paper-based tests. I always have to guess the last 6-7 quantitative questions. In the verbal section I suffered especially from one reading comprehension in which I had 0/4 correct and from SC in which I had only 4/13 correct.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:19 am
Paper based test don't tell you anything. YOu can get an 800 on all of them and you still won't have a good idea of where you really are on the CATs. Just practice with Cats if you can and you will be fine.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NL48 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:25 pm
Well, there are many differences between the CAT and Paper-based. The CAT provides a completely different atmosphere, and there can be a number of plausible reasons as to why you scored lower. Such as, you got too familiar with the paper-based format, and when you shift that to the CAT, it might cause problems.

I wouldn't sweat too much however. Sometimes, you just score lower.

Here's a general rule of thumb that I use for paper-based questions. I do them in timed conditions, but separately. I tackle each question 1 at a time, give myself 2 minutes, and see how I do. If you get it right and quickly enough, that's great, take note and move on. However, if you get it wrong, pay attention to the type of question it is, what category of question (Such as what kind of math is if it's Q, or what kind of Question is it for CR, etc.), and the explanation provided with the answer. If the explanation is insufficient or simply non-existent you should feel free to ask here in the forums. If you get it right, but see that you've gone over your time limit, analyze the question and find a different way to tackle it to shorten time.

Use the paper-based tests as a way to increase your familiarity with the questions, but not the format. In other words, I use these strictly for practice on questions.

As far as the CAT goes, I use it as a stamina test and simulation. However, I follow the same routine I do in reviewing questions as I do in paper-best tests. Break down the test question by question, and take a look at how to answer the questions that you got wrong, and find ways to do the questions that you too long to answer, faster.

I'm assuming you know your content, just struggling with time. This is a great phase to work on for me, since you already know what it takes to beat the GMAT, all you're doing is finding ways to beat it even better. Two ways to improve your timing would be to, like i mentioned before, find shortcuts or alternative ways to solve problems. And the second way is through familiarity, and one way of achieving that is abusing the CATs you get. Do them again and again, even if you've already taken them. Try not to focus on the scores, because they'll obviously be higher since you'll get repeats, but focus on speed. Even if you know the answer to a question, solve it as you normally would.