profile evaluation please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation please

by dweic37 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 pm
GMAT score: 750
academic background: san jose state university, major in MIS w/ an overall GPA of 3.05 only and 3.5 major GPA
2 years of web administrator exp. and 3 years of analyst exp. at a finanacial institution.
(i wonder if currently studying in CFA helps?)

i'd to choose a MBA program with intensive quant. analysis in or around the state of california. is UCLA a good choice? do i have a chance to get in? if not, can i target at USC?

Given that i have a IT-related technical background, does it increase my chance of getting into MBA information system program over other MBA programs? Or it does not make a difference if i apply for MBA finance or MBA IS at UCLA?

THank you so much for your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 am
Dear dweic37,

As a former admissions director, I think you need to present the real reason you want to go to business school and target the schools that can help facilitate that career change for you. If you want out of the IT function, then business school is a way to redirect your career onto a different path. Your GMAT and GPA do show you have the academic aptitude to succeed in any business school program. What will be important for you to gain admission to UCLA, USC or any other school is the rest of your application showing your rationale for business school and making your compelling case for admission to that particular school. California has plenty of options, so you should be able to identify a good mix of schools that are both highly selective and more reasonable that can provide the curriculum and resources you need. I do encourage you to spend some additional time researching all of the schools, including visiting those that look the most promising, to identify which ones you feel are the best match.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me