Not sending the GMAT score to any school??????

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:610
Hello all,

I am currently working on a big consulting firm in Belgium and I am planning to sit for the GMAT exam in March/April 2010.
At the moment I am focusing on the test only and I have not decided where to apply, especially since my school selection will be based on the GMAT score obtained (700+ --> INSEAD, FUQUA, LBS, 600-690 ---> IESE, ESADE, Manchester, Bocconi).
So my question is whether I can sit for the exam without sending my score to any school or it is mandatory to send the GMAT score?
Any feedback will be much appreciated as it might my entire application process strategy

Many thanks in advance,

JP

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 pm
You can choose not to send the score to any school, but this is not really advisable. You should probably pick 5 schools - doesn't really matter which, as long as they're on your list of potential targets. Think of it this way: no matter if your score is or isn't in the ranges you describe, if you don't pick anything you'll definitely have to pay extra money to have your scores sent. If you just put some of the schools, then there's a chance you won't have to spend that cash.

by Eye2Eye » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:33 pm
Many thanks for your answer,, I really appreciate it.

I have one more question, which I would be grateful if you could give me your view on it.
My profile is a little bit differentiated (2 degrees: MPharm and MSc Management both from top-10 UK universities) but I am lacking work experience when compared to the average work experience of e.g. ESADE (by the time of application will be 3.5ys in a big consulting firm when the avg. WE is 5ys).

Is it so crucial to hit the average work experience before applying in order to have good chances to get admitted?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help

JP

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:39 pm
Hi,

If you are able to differentiate yourself as a candidate that perhaps doesn't have the LENGTH of experience but has QUALITY of experience you can maybe convince the admissions committee.

Also, since experience is lacking, your other components such as Academics must be up to par. GMAT/Academics are great convincing factors that you can handle the coursework at that level in those top universities.

Also, keep in mind that your not that bad, you have a decent amount of experience you might not be hitting the average but an average is just what it is. Students accepted might have 9 years of experience or as little as 2 years of experience. All these are indicators, facts, but only statistics... at the end I think most universities use a holistic approach to assess your application.

I am no admissions consultant nor an MBA nor an expert on the subject matter so please take my advice for what its worth.

All the best,
Jas

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:04 am
Well, "averages" are just that: averages. Some students have more than 5 years, others have less than 5 years. You should not take numbers as "absolute guidelines", because it's not the case. I think that 3.5 years is still a decent amount of experience as compared to 5; you'd probably be in trouble if you had just 1 or something like that.

by Eye2Eye » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:14 am
Thank you very much for your kind answers guys.
You are absolutely right, I just think that I am at a disadvantage when I compare the duration and the kind of my work experience (3.5ys vs. average 5ys and consulting -common background)) with other possible applicants.
The only thing that might differentiate me is my study background (pharmacy) and my previous exposure to management studies

Rgrds,

JP