Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Profile Evaluation

by pitbull » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 am
Hi Jessica,

I know it's early for me to post this b/c I'm interested in matriculating in 2012, but I just want to gauge my chances.

Age at Matriculation: 28

UNDERGRADUATE
Top 50, Public
Top 25 Undergrad Bschool
Major: Finance
3.3 overall GPA (slacked off first few years, worked hard to raise it the last few years)
3.7 finance GPA
GMAT: 730 (50 Q, 40 V)
Ethnicity: Asian of some sort
Nationality: American, Adopted into Caucasian-American family

WORK EXPERIENCE
1.5 years thus far
Research Associate at a start-up that offers a research and analytics platform for the private equity industry
  • Have structured detailed research processes that have significantly reduced the time required to find info and populate it in our platform
    Co-authored quarterly reports and newsletters read by over 100,000 subscribers, generating 25 leads that became clients
    Assisted in creating a public comparables tool with over 12,000 publicly traded companies
    Created the framework for a financial modeling plug-in to be added in our platform eventually
Next 2.5 years
Hopefully M&A at a boutique investment bank or a corporate finance rotation in an extremely reputable F500 tech company

EXTRACURRICULARS
Past
Served as Executive Director of a nationwide (my ethnic group)-American student conference with 300 guests. Conference's aim is to raise awareness of community-specific issues, encourage students to network, and inspire students to contribute to the improvement of said community.
  • Directed an executive board of 10 members and a team of over 40 volunteers
    Generated $32,000 in corporate sponsorship and donations
    Organized 34 seminars and workshops, 3 concerts, and 4 opening ceremonies with more than 30 guest speakers and entertainers
    Created and implemented conference's 4-day logistical outline
Coordinated research for an international human rights organization advocating the rights of defectors from a certain politically unstable nation

Taught English to defectors who fled said politically unstable nation

Present & Future
Currently mentoring adoptee youths of my ethnic group who were raised by Caucasian-American families. Helping them with identity crisis issues.

Avid strength & conditioning and performance athletics junkie. Plan to either volunteer as S&C coach for a youth wrestling team or a YMCA/Boys & Girls Club, or compete in the CrossFit Games.

Will join the board of the parent organization that oversees the conference mentioned above and act as an advisor to future schools hosting the conference.

OTHER PARTICULARS
Lived 2 years in the country from which I was adopted.

Met birth family and maintained relationship with them.

Learned to speak the language of said motherland with conversational fluency. Hope to someday speak the language on a more scholarly level.

WHY MBA?
Want a career in mid-market private equity. Fascinated by the impact that changes in operational and financial inputs have on the performance of a company. True passion for reshaping a company and making it a more profitable, CF-positive organization.

REACH SCHOOLS
Wharton
Booth
Tuck

SWEET SPOT
Stern
Fuqua
Darden
Ross

SAFETY
Kelley
Marshall
Tepper

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 am
Hi -

Thanks for the inquiry.

It sounds as though you have a solid background -- combining strong GMAT, decent GPA (a 3.3. will be lower than average for some programs, but the upward trajectory and good GMAT will help to offset that), interesting work experience and good community involvement. In addition, your international experience/diversity will also add to your application.

Regarding your work experience...you said you have 1.5 years thus in your current job and then you mentioned 2.5 years next (hopefully). This confused me a bit in terms of sequence - maybe you can clarify. Also, did you work prior to your current position?

I like your list of target schools and the buckets seem to make sense. I'd probably select 2 from the "stretch" category, two from the "sweet spot" and perhaps one safer option but I think you have a strong profile!

I hope this helps!
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter