Profile Evaluation

by abhi758 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:23 am
Hi,

I am a non-IT male from India, have a work-ex of over 5.5 yrs

My Profile:
Acads: Average
Bachelor of Commerce
PG Diploma Networking & Computer Applications
Part-time MBA - International Business & Finance (2nd-level B-School)

Yet to appear for my GMAT..

Work-Ex: Worked for an ITeS firm assuming various roles in Business Development (3 yrs) and Business Research (2.8 yrs)

Currently started to work for an NGO, was on a employment break for 4 months

Extra-Curriculars: Good

My concerns:
(1) Gaps in my profile - (the most important concern!! )
(a) after completion of my Commerce grad for a period 20 months - (was preparing to appear for CA-inter exams and other MBA entrances) (b) Was on a employment break since last 4 months - (playing a role of a Home care provider taking care of my aged parents and doing some community service teaching some under-privileged children)
I am looking to apply to a b-school for a 1-yr course in India/Asia. What are the chances of making it by applying to a good b-school with these breaks??

(2) Having Experience on the business research and consulting side would like to work in the consulting industry post mba. Which b-school fits the bill? or has a curriculum with focus on consulting or closely involved with the consulting firms?

(3) Decided on the Indian/Asian school given the high tuition fees of the 1-yr programs? Any suggestions on the financial aid.. As with an NGO job now the pay is on a lower side

Look forward to suggestions and ideas..

-Abhi

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:04 am
Dear Abhi,

Your gaps will be a concern. As long as you have legitimate reasons and demonstrate that you were doing something during those periods, then you should be able to mitigate the concern. For example, the break where you cared for your parents you also did some community work demonstrating you were active during this time. While it would be better to present a solid history of professional experience, your gaps will not reflect as negatively on your candidacy as if you did nothing during those months. The main thing is to address these gaps in your application.

As for which schools are a good match, I encourage you to visit our sticky on school selection for tips on how to identify programs. Likewise, you should do some further research on the one-year programs you are considering to ensure there is a connection to the consulting industry. Similarly, you should research the schools with the consulting connections to determine their financial aid processes and practices. Financial aid is school-specific, so you will need to clarify what is available and how to request an award with each school directly.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me