Q from gmatprep

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Q from gmatprep

by mkhanna » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 am
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, [u]rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.[/u]
a)rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
b)rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
c)rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage.
d)with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage.
e)and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:00 am
IMO [spoiler]A![/spoiler]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by asdf29 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:34 pm
I did some digging around and I think I've got it. The idiom for 'ensure' is:

Right:
  • I ENSURE THAT my toenails ARE clipped.
    She ENSURES THAT her place WILL BE kept.
Wrong:
  • He ENSURES THAT deadlines MUST BE met.
    She ENSURES THAT her car SHOULD BE sold.
So, the means (b), (c) and (e) are out because they are missing a THAT. It also means that (d) is out because it is unidiomatic in the form "... ENDURES THAT ... SHOULD BE ...".

One major difference between the answers is the use of "at least".

(a) "... AT LEAST one nurse ..."
(b) "... one nurse AT LEAST ..."
(c) "... AT LEAST one nurse ..."
(d) "... AT LEAST one nurse ..."
(e) "... one nurse AT LEAST ..."

I believe AT LEAST before nurse means "not less than" which is correct in this context. However, AT LEAST after nurse means "if nothing else" which does not fit with the meaning of the sentence.

So my answer is also A.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:04 pm
IMO ans A

B and E are eliminated. "one nurse at least" changes the original meaning of the sentence. Should be "at least one nurse."

C and D are eliminated. "put through triage" is misplaced

Only answer left is A, its the best remaining choice.
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com