Is 80 percentile required in Verbal to get to top 10school??

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Is it true that top b-schools need at least 80 percentile in Verbal???
I got 73 percentile in verbal and 88 percentile overall. Is that a big concern???
wish

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 pm
Hi Vishal,

Generally, schools look at 80 percentile in each section and overall as a decent benchmark. Your overall score is 88 percentile, which means it is 690 (?) and if you have 73 percentile in Verbal, then you must have a good percentile in Quant (Are you an Indian student per chance? :))I would suggest you try and improvise on your score, ONLY if you are looking at the top 10 schools. A lot of other factors - Work Ex., Education etc. - need to be considered before you should do this, as they contribute in equal weightage to your overall candidacy at a B School.

However, for the top 10, 80 percentile in each section (maybe 78-79 as well) is the least benchmark you should set to be safely considered.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ankit
Founder - AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishalogy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 pm
Ankit,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am glad to finally get a reply.

Yes, I am an Indian and my background is in mining/metallurgy.

GMAT: 690 (Q49 V35)

Education:
MS from University of Utah - GPA 4.0/4.0
B.Tech from Indian School of Mines GPA - 4.42/5.0 (2nd in class, missed the gold by 0.02 GPA)

Work Ex:
Working in the US for a global mining company since the last 3 years . Have assumed several roles during this period from plant operations to process/project engineering to supervision over ~ 20 union hourly employees.

Because I have a background in Operations management, I am considering Sloan, Kellogg, Ross, Columbia and Duke.

This is my second attempt a GMAT. I was/am very disappointed at my score as I was consistently scoring between 710-730 in GMAT prep and MGMAT tests. However, I am not sure if I should take it the third time.
You think I might stand a chance for the above mentioned universities or am I being too ambitious??

Do you have a website??
wish