cancel exam? Does it go to your record?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

cancel exam? Does it go to your record?

by doctortt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 am
If I feel that I'm not doing well during the exam and want to cancel it at the end, does the cancellation go to your record?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:29 am
Yes it does. so basically no point in cancelling the scores.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by doctortt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:33 am
Oh even you cancel it, the score will go to your record? Then what's the point of cancelling it. Also, how many times you can take per year?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 am
doctortt wrote:Oh even you cancel it, the score will go to your record? Then what's the point of cancelling it. Also, how many times you can take per year?
not the score. The information that you cancelled your score will be available to all the schools.
What I meant was unless u r pretty sure that u totally bombed it, why cancel? why not take the chances?

there should be a gap of 31 days between any two attempts. but more than 3 tries don't look good on your app.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 pm
Just a warning:

The nature of adaptive tests (such as the GMAT) is such that you WILL feel like you did terribly. As you get problems right, the test will throw harder and harder material at you. No matter how good you are, eventually the GMAT will find the point where you start getting some problems wrong. So, theoretically, someone scoring 300 should find the test as hard as does someone scoring 700.

So, I always advise my students to never cancel their scores, unless something REALLY bad happened during the test (e.g., you got sick and had to leave for 20 minutes during the verbal section). If you just feel like it was hard, then do not cancel.

And the above info is correct - schools will see that you cancelled your score. Doing so once isn't a huge deal, but you definitely don't want to do it more than once.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep