Lack of Work Experience

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Lack of Work Experience

by adamv30 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:46 pm
I will be graduating Spring of 2010 with a Management degree from a large state school (GPA 3.6).

I am targeting the University of Pittsburgh and Penn State as my top choices and was wondering how much my lack of work experience will hurt my application? Also, would scoring well above a school's average GMAT score help to offset flaws in my application?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:31 am
Thank you for your inquiry.

I don't know very much about either program, but on the surface it looks like you will have a better chance at University of Pittsburgh than at Penn State. Penn State is really looking for candidates with work experience; their average student enters with four years of work, and 80% of their applicants have between 2 and 6 years. Unless you have tremendous work and leadership experiences during college, you may find gaining admission there to be a challenge. The University of Pittsburgh accepts more students with no work experience (their average is 3 years but 80% of their students have less than 5 or so years, including no experience).

As for your second question, without knowing more about your profile I can't give you a complete answer, but a strong GMAT can definitely help offset a weaker GPA. In your case though, you have a strong GPA; you want your GMAT to reinforce your academic abilities, not make up for them. A strong GMAT cannot really compensate for lack of leadership or work experiences; it measures a different attribute.

I hope that helps; best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php