Is 710 good enough for top 5 B Schools?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is 710 good enough for top 5 B Schools?

by supernova24 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm
Hi ,

I am planning to apply for the class of 2012 and have few questions in the same regard. First a snapshot of my profile:

1. Female / 25 years / Graduation from top undergrad school of India : Indian Institute of Technology Bombay/ CGPA: 8.43/10 , Department Rank : 5

2. GMAT : 710 (92%) , Quant : 50 ( 94%) , Verbal : 34 (69%) , AWA: 5

3. Working in an International Investment bank (Structuring Profile) since last 2 years (total work ex at the time of joining will be 3+ years) . I have a good career progression and have around 6-7 months of international experience in Singapore and London. After MBA short term plan (2-3 years) is to continue in the same sector. Long term plan is to start my own business in social sector. Active in organizing events in compant, part of recuitment panel and mentor for fresh graduates.

4. I have quite a bit of extra curricular activities at school and institute level, right from school captain, to head of various cultural and fine-art events in IIT. I have served as institute mentor and have received 5-6 organizational and leadership awards. I have also won several awards in fine arts and sports in intra and inter collegiate events. I am also a part of international NGO and heading its fund collection campaign in India.

Questions:
1. Is my work experience (3+ at the time of joining) enough for top B - schools.

2 I am planning to apply to Harvard, Stanford, London Business School and Chicago Booth in round 1. Please let me know if I need to change (add/ delete) any schools to this list.

3 How much importance is given to GMAT score while reviewing the application? Do some schools like Stanford particularly prefer students with GMAT of 730 and above? Should I consider giving GMAT again or spend the next 2.5 months on writing good essays?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am
Hi, thank you for your inquiry. To answer your questions:

1. Remember, it is the quality, not the quantity of your work that is important. Five years of mediocre work (no leadership, insignificant results, etc.) is not nearly as desirable to the schools as two years of solid leadership experience with excellent results. That being said, three years is extremely typical of U.S. MBA applicants.

2. You have an ambitious list of outstanding schools. Whether you should add, subtract or replace is really a personal decision based on your own goals and risk factors. For example, if your goal is only to attend a very top business school, then you could keep your list as is. On the other hand, if it is more important to you to make sure you attend business school in the fall, then you may want to add some safer schools to your list, or to look at adding some schools in round 2.

3. The GMAT is one factor in an overall picture. I do not believe that any school would look at you differently with a 730 vs a 710. With your excellent 710 score, I think spending the extra time on your essays and overall application will be a better use of time.

Best of luck.
Last edited by mbaMissionJessica on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Is 710 good enough for top 5 B schools?

by supernova24 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Thanks Jessica for the prompt reply.

On the last question regarding GMAT, I have a score of 50 (94%) in Quant and 34 (67%) in Verbal which makes it a total of 710 (92%). Do you think the admission committee will be a little skeptical about my verbal score. Is there any other way to show excellence in verbal?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members
Thanks for the follow up. With that verbal score, you would probably benefit by writing the optional essay (keep it to 100-150 words) not offering excuses for the score but explaining and demonstrating how it is not representative of your abilities. As evidence you can cite good grades in writing/speaking intensive classes, or work experience involving a lot of writing - presentations, documents, etc. Your AWA score may also help.

Good luck!
supernova24 wrote:Thanks Jessica for the prompt reply.

On the last question regarding GMAT, I have a score of 50 (94%) in Quant and 34 (67%) in Verbal which makes it a total of 710 (92%). Do you think the admission committee will be a little skeptical about my verbal score. Is there any other way to show excellence in verbal?
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

by supernova24 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am
Thanks a lot Jessica. Your advice really helped me.
Will keep you posted with my progress and other doubts if any.