time frame to study gmat

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

time frame to study gmat

by gmattering » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 am
hi people,

just joined this forum. I have scheduled my gmat on 8 July and am now worried I do not have sufficient time for the revision.

I am spending on average 2hours on weekdays to study (since i am working) and have a total of 15 full days (weekends + leave days) before the countdown on 8 Jul.

Do you think the time frame to study is unrealistic (it's about 1 month)?

I am shooting for 650.

I have done lots of practice questions which seem rather fine till i came across some killer questions online and those posted as "600+, 700+" questions .. theres no way i could have spend just a mere 2mins to dissect, understand and answer such a question based on my current level

I am worried as the clock is ticking closer and closer and i am considering postponing (latest 1 Jul) if i am not ready yet by then

pls advise. tks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 am
I would recommend at least 3 months. I don't understand why people schedule the dates first. In Chicago anyway, you can schedule it a week before you want to take it, so just wait until you are hitting your score on the practice CATs and then schedule it.

by gmattering » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am
osirus0830 wrote:I would recommend at least 3 months. I don't understand why people schedule the dates first. In Chicago anyway, you can schedule it a week before you want to take it, so just wait until you are hitting your score on the practice CATs and then schedule it.
hi osirus, thanks for prompt reply. I've acted on impulse - i did a few "easy" questions from a GMAT book and assumed this is that kinda level i will be expecting on a real GMAT - till i was introduced to more challenging questions. then it dawned on me i gonna be in some sort of trouble charging into GMAT prematurely

reason i scheduled the dates 1st is the slots here in my country test centre have been selling like hot cakes!! so i have to act fast to "place" my order.

ya .. from what ive read, 3-4 months seems to be a benchmark for preparation for gmat. I know i have to do well in GMAT to stand a chance in admission as i do not have strong undergraduate results and the school i am aiming for seems a stickler for good gmat score

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Roshan2611 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:41 am
Gmaterring, i also suggest a min of 2 months prep time.

1. It takes time to go through the OG and identify your strength and weaknesses.

2. Developing strategies also takes time. At the end of the day, its about your individual strategy on each tested topic topic that decides your score.

So i suggest, you postpone your exam by a few weeks and concentrate in giving some mock tests to determine what works and what does not and then work on the areas that are pulling your score down.

Regards,
Roshan

by gmattering » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm
Roshan2611 wrote:Gmaterring, i also suggest a min of 2 months prep time.

1. It takes time to go through the OG and identify your strength and weaknesses.

2. Developing strategies also takes time. At the end of the day, its about your individual strategy on each tested topic topic that decides your score.

So i suggest, you postpone your exam by a few weeks and concentrate in giving some mock tests to determine what works and what does not and then work on the areas that are pulling your score down.

Regards,
Roshan

Thanks roshan! need to work on the strategy to tackle each section.

i am generally ok in CR and AWA (english section) and not good in the maths part - guess i wld need to spend more time and focus on this area ..

thanks again!!! =)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 am
I would recommend atleast 3-4 months. Trust me time will pass soo quickly during this time . that you will actually need more time to prepare.

for quant i'd recommend kaplan 800 math . its a good book . i like it. thou the strategy is quite simple ( plugin #s ) the qs @ times are killer

:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am
bhumika.k.shah wrote:I would recommend atleast 3-4 months. Trust me time will pass soo quickly during this time . that you will actually need more time to prepare.

for quant i'd recommend kaplan 800 math . its a good book . i like it. thou the strategy is quite simple ( plugin #s ) the qs @ times are killer

:)
bhumika what for u recommending 3-4 months ..is it the total time required for preparation u r talking about..or for any particular section....
Quote the thing before replying..that would really help to understand what's going on ...
Also th guy who started thread might have given exam till now his paper was 8 months back i.e. in july 09 ..so no use to suggest him now
rather ask for his score and experience..
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.