HBS 2+2?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HBS 2+2?

by clockhand » Sun May 10, 2009 10:21 pm
Hi,

I have a question about my chance to get into 2+2.

I am a junior at top non-ivy and have a 4.0 GPA with unrelated majors. I got 710 gmat. I know it is almost impossible to say anything simply with gpa and gmat but i'd like to get at least some general advice. Thanks so much!

--ClockHand

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue May 12, 2009 5:43 pm
The 2+2 program is interesting and part of a larger trend among business schools to admit selected applicants with killer credentials into the full-time program earlier than the "typical" applicant (who is, of course, often far from typical vs. the general population!).

In terms of what you should be thinking about, let me suggest the following:

- Your GPA and GMAT are both very very good. If you think you have a chance of topping up the GMAT do it --again, extraordinary is the standard.

- If you don't have great work experience, you need to start getting it now. International is good; managing a team is good; etc. etc. This is going to be key!!

- Volunteer and get yourself into a leadership position with a good volunteer organization. As I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, if you can find a "young professionals" division of a local or national organization then you will be able to get into a meaningful leadership position sooner. I strongly recommend this.

- Finally, and I somewhat reluctant to mention this b/c it may not be as high yield as your work and extracurriculars, if you don't have ANY business training in accounting, finance, statistics, calculus, and economics get some. It will go a long way towards assuaging concern about your ability to hack the classwork w/ only two years of experience.

- Be developing relationships with potential recommenders. You will be applying w/ just 15 mos. of experience so you will need to be cultivating recommender relationships EARLY and well. Don't push too hard; just be be aware that you will need to have those relationships in place.

Finally...don't get your heart set on HBS in two years. It's a lottery; they have far too many over-qualified applicants. And, finallly, if the only place that is acceptable to you is HBS then you may need to think carefully about whether you want an MBA. Folks that have good, grounded, well-informed reasons for getting an MBA can make a variety of places.

Good luck and keep me apprised of your thinking--

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html