mgmt #41 cat 1

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

mgmt #41 cat 1

by coolvishu11 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:09 pm
41. William Shakespeare, though long considered as being one of the finest writers in English or any other language, was the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed by him.

a· William Shakespeare, though long considered as being one of the finest writers in English or any other language, was the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed by him.
b· William Shakespeare, though long considered as one of the finest writers in English or any other language, has been the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed to him.
c· William Shakespeare, though long considered to be one of the finest writers in English or any other language, was the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed to him.
d· William Shakespeare, though long considered one of the finest writers in English or any other language, has been the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed to him.
e· William Shakespeare, though long considered to be one of the finest writers in English, was over the years the subject of speculation that he had not been the real author of works attributed by him.

why is the answer dcorrect . I thought it is c

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:38 pm
Between b and d I would pick d -> present perfect since the speculation started in the past and may or may not have completed. We dont know so it safe to use present perfect. Over the years gives us a cue to use present perfect

b and d are almost the same except the word "as".Considered as is unidiomatic in b .

Its not c since it uses the simple past which conevys the meaning that the speculation may not continue till day.

My bad for all the spoilers, I just wanted to ensure that others also have a chance to answer without knowing the right answer.

Hope I am not off here & someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken....

Regards,
CR
Last edited by cramya on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by RockyRambo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:43 pm
William Shakespeare, though long considered one of the finest writers in English or any other language, has been the subject of speculation over the years that he was not the real author of works attributed to him.

shouldnt it be considered to be one here and not just considered one?

moreover shouldnt " writers in English or any other language " be " writers in English or in any other language "?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by chintanjadwani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 pm
i 'll just say, as far as possible try to avoid 'considered to be' , its wordy ....

it is considered X ., is perfectly idiomatic .... :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: mgmt #41 cat 1

by coolvishu11 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:13 pm
IF IT IS present perfect since the speculation started in the past and may or may not have completed then the sentence should end in present tense

that he is not the real author of works attributed to him.

William Shakespeare, though long considered one of the finest writers in English or any other language, has been the subject of speculation over the years that he is not the real author of works attributed to him.

please can you explain

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by shibal » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am
why ' considered as one...' is undiomatic???

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by schumi_gmat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:55 am
Even "considered to be" is unidiomatic

consider - regard as

Just replace the meaning and you will eliminate the answers