A few Questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

A few Questions

by MichelleW1982 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm
1) Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be

(B) than in shallow coastal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether

(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including

(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an

(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether

2) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies.

(A) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken

(B) Unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken

(C) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done

(D) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken

(E) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

3) With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

(A) With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B

(B) Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of

(C) Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations

(D) Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B

(E) Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it

4) The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists support the generalization of there being little that is a significant difference in the underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.

(A) of there being little that is a significant difference

(B) of there being little that is significantly different

(C) of little that is significantly different

(D) that there is little that is significantly different

(E) that there is little of significant differences

Thanks!! I will post answers later!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by radhaswami » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 pm
1) Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be (WHICH AND THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLEAR REFERRANT)
(B) than in shallow coastal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether (WHETHER CANNOT BE USED FOR MORE THAN THREE OPTION GENERALLY IF IS USED FOR THAT)

(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including THIS SEEMS TO BE THE BEST OPTION

(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an (INSTEAD OF IS WRONGLY USED ALSO INCLUDING AN, AN CANNOT BE ADDED TO TREASURE HUNTER SO REJECTED)

(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether (DISTORTS MEANING)

by MichelleW1982 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm
The correct answer to question 1 is B.

I don't understand how can you say "wheather A, B or C".

I chose A.

C is wrong because there is a "more", so you need to look for "than".

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha_800 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:16 pm
I get the following ... I'll explain if I'm correct

1. B
2. D
3. D
4. D
GMATPowerPrep Test1= 740
GMATPowerPrep Test2= 760
Kaplan Diagnostic Test= 700
Kaplan Test1=600
Kalplan Test2=670
Kalplan Test3=570

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:58 pm
Guys, please

-write only one question in a thread.
-mention answer (OA) in first post itself.
-use spoiler tag.

by sjd00d » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm
IMO
B, D, D, D

Michelle,

B in first as "more likely....than" is the correct idiom. A has couple of antecedent problems..

I'll explain the other answer choices, once you confirm that they are all Ds.

by skyline77 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:58 pm
I go for B, D, D, D.

Not too sure for Q2. In the end, I choose D over E..

Please post the OAs....thanks.

Re: A few Questions

by WannaBThere » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 am
IMO
1> B
2>D
3>D
4>D are correct.
MichelleW1982 wrote:1) Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.
(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be ("which" incorrectly used for referencing a phrase)

(B) than in shallow coastal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether (CORRECT)

(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including (Incorrect comparision between "Shipwrecks at great depths" and "shallow waters along the coast")

(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an (again problematic "which")

(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether (Incorrect Comparision)
MichelleW1982 wrote:2) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies.
(A) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken (Parallelism)

(B) Unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken (Parallelism)

(C) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done (Awkward and Parallelism)

(D) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken (CORRECT)

(E) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken (Awkward and Wordy)

MichelleW1982 wrote:3) With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.
(A) With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B (Wordy!! Also "Awareness" not parallel to "choose")

(B) Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of (Awkward.."they" is spoilsport)

(C) Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations (Parallelism)

(D) Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B (CORRECT)

(E) Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it ("Since..." incorrectly modifying "Companies")
MichelleW1982 wrote:4) The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists support the generalization of there being little that is a significant difference in the underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.
(A) of there being little that is a significant difference ("of there being" unidiomatic)

(B) of there being little that is significantly different ("of there being" unidiomatic)

(C) of little that is significantly different (Awkward and Altered Intent)

(D) that there is little that is significantly different (Correct)

(E) that there is little of significant differences (Close to the correct but "there is little of.." seems awkward)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by PAB2706 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 am
IMO BEDD....

by Maratha1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:11 am
I would go with BDAD
carpe diem!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by crazy4gmat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 am
B D A D for me.

by MichelleW1982 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:51 am
Correct Answers:

1) B

(Still, I don't understand how "whether A, B or C" can be correct. Don't you need a verb here?

2) D

3) D

4) D

(Significantly different vs. Significant differences: I feel the meaning of these two are actually not exactly the same. And the original sentence used
"Significant difference", therefore I chose E).

Can anyone help to explain a little bit? Thank you!

by sjd00d » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 am
MichelleW1982 wrote:Correct Answers:

1) B

(Still, I don't understand how "whether A, B or C" can be correct. Don't you need a verb here?

2) D

3) D

4) D

(Significantly different vs. Significant differences: I feel the meaning of these two are actually not exactly the same. And the original sentence used
"Significant difference", therefore I chose E).

Can anyone help to explain a little bit? Thank you!
For #1, I think Whether A, B or C is a correct usage. I just say that because it sounds ok, not sure grammatically though.

In #4, E is wrong IMO because it should be "there are little of significant differences"