Reco

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Reco

by iamcste » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:59 am
Program of my choice states "we prefer that at least one recommendation comes from the workplace: your current supervisor or manager is usually a good choice. The other recommendation may also be from someone who has had a chance to evaluate you in a professional setting: a client, a former supervisor or a colleague from your community service or extracurricular activities"

However, I have really not discussed my B school plans with my current supervisor. That said, I am considering a client with whom I have interacted almost on daily basis and worked on an array of projects. I feel that he could bring out cultural sensitivity, team buliding and other accolades.
Other recommender I have chosen is former supervisor ( Director of program management) to talk some of other aspects

I plan to put a short note in optional essay for the reason I couldnt get a reco from current supervisor

Does this look ok or would you offer me any other advice

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 am
Dear iamcste,

Thanks for your post!

While the ideal scenario is to have a supportive recommendation from your current supervisor, the reality is that this isn't always so easy to come by (especially in an economic environment where candidates aren't necessarily looking to advertise their potential lame-duck status at the office). My sense is that your plan (to go with a former direct supervisor and a current client) makes good sense. Of course, in order to best assess the situation, I'd need more information about the nature of your work, the profile/education of the recommender, etc - but on the surface I think you've got the beginnings of a sound approach.

You may want to investigate the Clear Admit MBA Recommendation Guide (a downloadable strategy guide) as you navigate this aspect of the process. The guide includes extensive advice on recommender selection, sample letters and more. https://www.clearadmit.com/ss_reco.html

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.