Quant Issues - Courses?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quant Issues - Courses?

by bluemiles » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:46 am
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 680 (43Q and 40V). I'm 26 and have worked in Energy Consulting since I graduated from University. I was a history major in school and didn't taken any quant courses.

I plan on applying to Bschool for the Fall of 2010 so I have some time. I know I'm going to need to demonstrate my quantitative abilities in order to get in B-School. Is it necessary to take several full college level quant courses before I apply to schools? If so, what quant courses would schools be looking for me to have completed?

Also, I've heard of an online course called MBA Math which is supposed to be a good refresher for pre-MBA students. Would this course be enough to get me prepared?

I'm looking to apply to the following schools:

Darden
Kenan-Flagler
University of Toronto
York
Georgetown
U Maryland
Rice
McCombs
University of Flordia

If I do well enough in extra quant courses, combined with my gmat, work exp. and gpa (3.2 from a top Candian school), are these reasonable schools to apply to?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:38 pm
Dear bluemiles,

The best quantitative preparation for business school are math and statistics courses. If you do not have a strong grasp of algebra and calculus, then your core finance courses will be quite difficult. I would suggest taking finite math, college algebra and calculus. Statistics is also a good course, but best to take after you are refreshed on algebra. Your GMAT score indicates you have a strong aptitude for business school, so I think these courses are really for you to refresh/learn these quant skills in preparation for business school. I'm not familiar with the online MBA Math course, so I can't comment there. Chances are, it might be worth looking into and be enough in your case.

I do think your school list is reasonable and appropriate for you.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by bluemiles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 am
Thanks so much for the response. It was very helpful.

As a follow-up, I was looking online and there's a course offered called Math for Management with UCLA's Online school (I'm out of the country for the year and thus I will have to take classes online). The course is described as a pre-MBA math course dealing in linear and martrix algebra as well as differential calculus.

Does this course sound sufficient or do you think economics classes and accounting classes would be necessary as well?

Thanks Again

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:21 am
Bluemiles -
To echo the previous posters comments, I think its a great idea for you to take a few quant courses before applying in the Fall. Instead of the MBA Math course, I would strongly recommend taking courses at an accredited university - even a community or junior college would be fine. No disrespect to your online math course, but I am sure AdCom would look more highly upon a more 'legit' course.

BTW - I am glad you are thinking about your applications now! Great initiative! To better position yourself, make sure you apply in R1 for your top schools.

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by bluemiles » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 am
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I'm working in S. Korea for the year and don't have access to english speaking universities. Are online courses looked down upon by adcoms? I was looking into courses through the UCLA online program. Which courses would be the most valuable for someone that does not have an undergrd math record: stats, calculus, financial accounting, business economics, or any others?

The Math for Management course I was looking into is also offered by the UCLA online program and cover math topics for students looking to go into MBA programs. I thought this might be a more cost/time effective option. Do you think it would be to my detriment to take this course over a few individual courses?

Thanks Again. I really appreciate the advice.

GMAT Score:640

Online Math Prep courses for MBA/GPA

by bryanwxup » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 pm
Ditto bluemiles' question.. only I am applying to comparable schools on the other coast.

Regarding the MBA Math idea, I was planning on that also, for the cost and the apparent commentary. However the post here about an Accredited program speaks well to my current GPA shortfall. I earned a BBA with a low GPA over 10 years ago.

Can you recommend a distance learning course(s) (Math, stats, etc) or even schools (accredited extension vs. UOPhoenix for example) that might be looked at well by an Adcom as 1. good prep for the MBA program and 2. to enhance or refresh and old and tired GPA? I have 22 months until app season rnd1.

Thanks
______
Bryan

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 pm
Taking an online course at an accredited university is a great idea. AdCom will not look down upon it... esp given the fact that you are in a different country.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep