Looking for honest Profile Assessment (China)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Looking for honest Profile Assessment (China)

by mnl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am
Hey everyone,

I want an honest assessment of my profile on how likely I'll get accepted to various schools. Assuming that I score 720 on the GMAT, what is the realistic chance I'll get an offer from a Top US School (e.g. stanford)? Top 5 (e.g. Kellogg)? Top 10 (e.g. Tuck)? Top 20 (e.g. Duke/Emory)?

My background,
* Female from China.
* Undergraduate university is ranked top 10-15 in China. Majored in English. Not very good GPA.
* For the last 2.5 years I've been working in a top US technology company in Beijing (think Google/Microsoft/Yahoo) as an Administrative Assistant under a Technology Director (staff of 40).
o I project manage'd a lot of large scale events in my current role (from 100 people to 1000+ people)
* Before that worked in a technology startup in Shanghai for 2 years as Executive Assistant of the CEO (support company growth from 5 to 20 people).
o I took on the responsibility of HR and some Marketing (in a startup you get to do everything)
* "Some" community service experience during university.

Questions:
* What is my realistic chance to get into a top US school (e.g. stanford)? top 5 school (e.g. kellogg)? top 10 (Tuck)? top 20 (Duke, Emory)?
* If you think I'm unlikely to get into a top 5 school with a 720 GMAT, what can I do in the next year to change that? How about top 10? My target is 2010.
* Do you think the title "admin" will hurt me?
* How can I position myself to show "leadership" in work experience? I'm thinking of showing my work experience actually involved a lot of project management and I'm not in a typical "secretary" role.
* I'm afraid that the lack of clear career progression will hurt me with a top <10 school. Should I be worried?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:36 pm
Dear mnl,

* What is my realistic chance to get into a top US school (e.g. stanford)? top 5 school (e.g. kellogg)? top 10 (Tuck)? top 20 (Duke, Emory)?
Since your essays, recommendations, and interview will have a significant impact on your admission decision, it is really hard to gauge what your chances are at any school. I think if you score over a 700 on the GMAT, you have a shot as long as you put together a compelling application with a solid rationale for why you want a MBA and how it relates to your career goals.

* If you think I'm unlikely to get into a top 5 school with a 720 GMAT, what can I do in the next year to change that? How about top 10? My target is 2010.
I would suggest putting together a target list of schools with maybe 1-2 top 5 or 10 schools and then a couple schools in the 10-30 range. As an international student, you have to not only complete against the entire applicant pool, but also demonstrate that you are one of the international students to be offered a small percentage of the total seats in the class. It is always good to have some alternative schools as a backup plan as the top 20 schools are highly competitive.

* Do you think the title "admin" will hurt me?

Yes, I do think your job title might hurt you which is why your resume and essay are crucial to you selling yourself as an applicant. You need to highlight your professional tasks and managerial skills, making sure you convey that you are not really a secretary.

* How can I position myself to show "leadership" in work experience? I'm thinking of showing my work experience actually involved a lot of project management and I'm not in a typical "secretary" role.
It is best to highlight your accomplishments and contributions to your company--not give a task list on your resume. It is not what you do on a daily basis that matters as much as what you do that adds value to your company.

* I'm afraid that the lack of clear career progression will hurt me with a top <10 school. Should I be worried?
It might hurt you, but you only have about 3 years of experience. What is critical is not a new job title but a demonstration that you received bigger responsibilities over the course of your career. Once again, how you present your experience on your resume and in your essays is going to be key.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me