Nuclear radiation

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Nuclear radiation

by showbu » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:06 pm
Human exposure to even low levels of Nuclear radiation drastically increases the likelihood of contracting some form of cancer. according to a research study involving a town near a former nuclear testing site, no person who resided in the town during the testing-which occurred more than 60 years ago-and who was under the age of 10 during the testing lived beyond 50 years of age. However, some of the town's former residents who are now over 50 years old are cancer survivors but resided in the town during the nuclear testing.

Infer

a. some people who resided in the town during the nuclear testing do not remember the testing

b. the cancers contracted by the town's cancer survivors were not caused by exposure to nuclear radiation

c. some of the town's former residents living today were over 10 years of age during the nuclear testing

d the nuclear testing resulted in the emission of lower levels of radiation than initially believed

e some of the town's residents died before turning 50 years of age due to causes other than cancer.

OA: Spoiler Code b

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:22 pm
imo B) and C) are the contenders here.

B wins over C) since its a must be true question(inference). There may have been other cancel patients in the town that were under 10 years (got cancer due to a different reason) but since the srgument says that anyone exposed to nuclear radiation and were under 10 years died. So those who are surviving after 50 must have had cancer which was not caused by the radiation.

C) could be true but not must be true

Thoughts welcome!

Regards,
CR

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gg1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:00 pm
C shud be correct as it can be correctly infereable.

No one < 10 survived

i.e. some who survived shud be > 10

B is not correct since there is no mention that cancer from nuclear radiation shud always lead to death. So we cannot infer B.

wat is th OA

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Lina » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:39 pm
I still can't get the OA...@ cramya ... cud u plz throw some light on ...how u infered the ans?

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:44 am
MUST BE TRUE QUESTION :

any body below the age of 10 at time of testing died because of cancer..
so the people survived might be above the age of 10 at the time of testing..

choose C
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by xandertan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 pm
I don't agree with answer B either.

I read the questions for so many times, and I feel that the first sentence only suggests that exposure to radiation increases chances of getting cancer, while the second sentence only suggests that no person (for whatsoever reasons) lives beyond 50 years. Finally, the third sentence only tells me that the person who lives beyond 50 years are cancer survivors.

I don't even know whether the cancer from radiation causes the death of people. I can't decide on B.

I can only deduce C.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 am
yeah, (b) isn't necessarily true.

if you have cancer survivors who were old enough to be more than ten years old at the time of the testing, then those survivors could still be around. we know that all the residents who were under ten at the time and were exposed to the testing died at or before age 50, but we're not told anything about residents who were over 10 at the time of the testing and were exposed to it (and who might still be around today).

on the other hand, (c) MUST be true.
here's why:
the last sentence guarantees that the town has former residents who lived through the testing and are still alive. the passage says that those people are cancer survivors, but, in this case, that fact is incidental (unnecessary).
had those people been 10 or under at the time, the passage guarantees that they would have died.
therefore, they must have been older than 10.
done.

answer (c)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Brad.C » Fri May 13, 2016 1:45 pm
It seems to me that it is C