Applying to Business School but lacking in Math

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took my GMATs and received a 680 (43 M and 40 V) I have 3.2 GPA from a top Canadian University with a BA in History. I'm 26 and have been working in Energy Consulting for 4 years. I haven't taken any quant courses in University or since. I will be living in S. Korea for the next year and I'm looking to apply to schools like UNC, UVA, Duke as well as a few Canadian schools in 2010. While in Korea I would like to take online courses in order to catch up in Stats, Econ and Accounting. Do schools view these online courses well? In terms of the schools I mentioned, would additional quant courses help (I would rather not retake the GMAT) or am I reaching too much?

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:54 am
Dear Bluemiles,

Thanks for your post!

First of all, I think it's great that you are already plotting your path to a successful set of applications next fall. Given the level of competition at top schools these days, it never hurts to plan ahead.

As to your question, I have the following thoughts:

1) If you studied history in college and took no quantitative courses (e.g. no calculus, statistics, economics, accounting or finance), then you should absolutely consider building an 'alternative transcript' by taking 2+ courses in stats/accounting/calc over the coming year (ideally this spring and summer 2009). They can be ugrad level/continuing education courses - they need not be MBA/Master's level courses.

2) In terms of where to take the online courses, the leading b-schools are fine with some online options - particularly those courses which are offered by known universities. For example, the UCLA Extension School offers great online coursework in pre-MBA quantitative disciplines and is respected by leading MBA programs. You might also look into an online program called "MBA Math" that is offered by an adjunct professor at Tuck. The MBA Math online courses help applicants get up to speed for b-school and are recognized by most MBA programs.

3) As to the GMAT, a few thoughts come to mind.

a) Your score will be below average for all of the programs you mentioned. While it's not dramatically below the average, it will still be an area that you need to make up for elsewhere in your file (by having other attributes that tip the scales more in your favor, etc). In order to really advise you on this matter, I'd need more information about your background and whether or not there are other factors that might enable you to stand out despite a below-average score, etc.

b) If you've only taken the exam once, I can't help but think that with all the time you have before applying it makes sense to retake (perhaps with some tutoring on the math side first). I know that's not ideal from your vantage point, but try to look at it from the schools' perspective: they have stated openly that only take your top score and that applicants can take the test multiple times. They have also published their GMAT averages and told non-quant applicants that they need to demonstrate their quant skills in order to ensure the adcom that they are ready for b-school. As such, an admissions officer might look at your 70th percentile on the math section and below-average total score and wonder why you didn't take the test more than once, given that you had the time, etc.

c) Keep in mind that the combination of a couple of online courses in stats and calculus, along with some rigorous GMAT prep could make for a better showing on the test (should you decide to take it again). Of course, if you've already taken the test three times, I may be more inclined to agree with your planned approach and not have you retake it.

d) As a final note, remember that there is a strong interaction between one's GMAT score and the undergraduate record - particularly when the school is lesser known to the admissions reader. In other words, if you had a 750 on the GMAT, your 3.2 from a top Canadian school may start to look a bit better than if you have a 680 - since the GMAT score tends to color the adcom's perception of the caliber of your ugrad education.

Feel free to send your resume to [email protected] if you'd like to set up a free 30-minute session with one of our counselors and get a more holistic assessment of your candidacy.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bluemiles » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:56 pm
Graham,

Thanks for your response. In terms of lower GMAT quant scores, will they be as much of a problem outside of top 20 schools? Especially if I take additional math courses.

Thanks,
Josh