From 570 to 710

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

From 570 to 710

by krockman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:32 am
Well, the GMAT was a long road for me. I took my first GMAT test a year ago. I took the test on a Monday and decided to get cram on Sunday. As you can imagine, that didn't work. I scored a very depressing/discouraging 570. I don't know that I was expecting a 700, but I certainly was more than shocked when I saw a 570 pop up on the screen (6.0 AWA).

It took a few months for me to feel motivated enough to start hitting the books, but I finally did it. I took the MGMAT course (but not as seriously as I should have). I decided to get a tutor because I knew that would force me to hit the books once and for all. My tutor came on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings (about 3 hrs each day). He would essentially just help me work through tough problems. The real benefit to the tutor was actually having someone that would keep me accountable to my study schedule.

After about 3 or 4 months I took the test again and despite practice tests in the early 700's I scored a 660. Obviously this was a huge improvement on my first score, but was still short of my end goal. I came home and signed up to take the GMAT a 3rd time. I gave myself 30 days and hit the books again.

When I took the 3rd test I knew I had nailed it. I actually saw a 710 before even getting my score and sure enough, that's what I got. Q46 V41.

I guess I wanted to get on here and share my experience because I know how discouraged I was after my first score. My story shows that with hard work, a steady schedule of studying and a lot of determination, you can improve your score. A 700+ score is not impossible to reach if you initially scored in the 500's.

As for studying, the most essential books are the MGMAT books. I also found the Kaplan 800, Kaplan GMAT Course Book, and of course the OG 11, OG Quant, and OG Verbal. I worked thousands of problems and I know that is what helped me boost my score.

BTW, I'm selling all these books now. If anyone is interested, please let me know. They are all in great condition. I didn't write in the books, so they are in great shape for someone else trying to boost their score from a 500+ to a 700+. I have everything you'll need to nail the test (if you only need a few of the books let me know and we'll see what we can work out). Send me a message at globalup at gmail.com. I'm ready to unload these books!

Best of luck to everyone! Beat that GMAT!!
Last edited by krockman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:48 am
Congrats!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by benpack03 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm
I would love to buy them!

how can i get hold of you?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by danielchu » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm
Nice!

Did you have timing issues on your V?

If so, how did you improve your timing?

I took the GMAT 3 times and that means, by your second try, you should have gone through OG11, and all the other materials at least twice. How did you study them if you know all the answers from back to back already?

timing on verbal

by krockman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:04 pm
I actually didn't have timing issues on the verbal. I pretty much spent all my time on the quant section. I actually kept a study log and I timed every single problem I worked. I got to the point where I could identify within a couple seconds of the 2 minute mark without looking at the timer. BTW, I found that study log sheet on this forum somewhere. You could probably do a few searches and find it.

books

by krockman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:07 pm
My books are still available if anyone's looking. Shoot me a message at globalup at gmail.com. I've got everything you need to nail that GMAT!

Tutor

by msmith8754 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:41 am
Hi Krockman,

Congratulations on your result ! I want to ask which tutoring service did you use and which plan did you use ? I figure 3 hrs on both days might be costly if the hourly rate applies. I look forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Miranda