Please explain

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:C: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million, a part of a deal that making it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market.
The portion in red is composed of COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN + OTHER WORDS.
Here, the abstract noun (part) can logically refer to the nearest preceding noun ($950 million), since it is possible that $950 million is PART OF A DEAL.
For this reason, the portion in red may NOT serve as a summative modifier.
Hi GMATGuruNY,
In Option C, why can't we consider that "$950 million" and "a part of a deal" are APPOSITIVES ?

And isn't Verb-ing modifier "making" is CONTEMPORANEOUS with the MAIN Verb (will purchase) in C ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

part of a deal

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:C: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million, a part of a deal making it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market.
The portion in red is composed of COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN + OTHER WORDS.
Here, the abstract noun (part) can logically refer to the nearest preceding noun ($950 million), since it is possible that $950 million is PART OF A DEAL.
For this reason, the portion in red may NOT serve as a summative modifier.
Hi GMATGuruNY,
In Option C, why can't we consider that "$950 million" and "a part of a deal" are APPOSITIVES ?
It must be crystal clear what a modifier is modifying.

C: The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million, a part of a deal making it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market.
Here, the intended referent for the modifier in red is unclear.
Case 1: $950 million is a part of a deal
Case 2: the color-printing division is a part of a deal
Case 3: the entire preceding event -- that the computer company will purchase the color-printing division for $950 million -- is a part of a deal.

You are proposing Case 1 as the intended meaning.
An earlier poster suggested Case 3 as the intended meaning.
Case 2 is also a logical interpretation.
Since the intended referent for the modifier in red is unclear, the structure in C is not viable.
And isn't Verb-ing modifier "making" is CONTEMPORANEOUS with the MAIN Verb (will purchase) in C ?
The main verb of the sentence is has announced.
Since the main verb is in a form of the present tense -- specifically, the present perfect -- a reader might construe that the acting of making is also happening in the present.
The intended sequence is that the computer company will become the largest manufacturer not in the present but in the FUTURE, after the deal has been finalized.
The OA makes the intended sequence crystal clear by employing a future tense verb (will make) rather than a VERBing modifier (making):
The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million as part of a deal that WILL MAKE it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market.
As a result, the OA is clearly preferable to C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:40 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote: isn't Verb-ing modifier "making" is CONTEMPORANEOUS with the MAIN Verb (will purchase) in C ?
The main verb of the sentence is has announced.
Since the main verb is in a form of the present tense -- specifically, the present perfect -- a reader might construe that the acting of making is also happening in the present.
The intended sequence is that the computer company will become the largest manufacturer not in the present but in the FUTURE, after the deal has been finalized.
The OA makes the intended sequence crystal clear by employing a future tense verb (will make) rather than a VERBing modifier (making):
The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company for $950 million as part of a deal that WILL MAKE it the largest manufacturer in the office color-printing market.
As a result, the OA is clearly preferable to C.
I hear you here... but Verb-ing modifier "making" can also modify the nearest preceding action "will purchase" of the preceding that-clause. Isn't it ?

Thus the INTENDED sense of FUTURE is uphold as "making" becomes CONTEMPORANEOUS with the "will purchase".

Thoughts please ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:I hear you here... but Verb-ing modifier "making" can also modify the nearest preceding action "will purchase" of the preceding that-clause. Isn't it ?

Thus the INTENDED sense of FUTURE is uphold as "making" becomes CONTEMPORANEOUS with the "will purchase".

Thoughts please ?
This line of reasoning applies to a VERBing modifier preceded by CLAUSE + COMMA.
In C, making is preceded not by CLAUSE + COMMA but by a NOUN PHRASE (a part of a deal).
The referent for this noun phrase is unclear, as discussed in my earlier post.
As a result, a reader cannot be sure whether making is intended to be contemporaneous with the main verb (has announced) or with the subsequent verb (will purchase).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3