Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 am
Jai_itguys wrote:Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were subject to relatively small penalties.

IMO this is a problem of run on sentence. A run on sentence occurs when 2 independent clauses(IC) are not joined appropriately.

IC1: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge, (Actually this is a dependent clause + Independent clause but relative to 2nd part of the sentance you can practically treat it as an IC)

IC2: federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were subject to relatively small penalties.

Rule to join IC: Independent clauses may be joined by a [comma and a conjunction (and,but,or etc)], or by a semicolon, or by a dash.

The choices A,B,C are out straight away as they violate rule 1-joined by a [comma and a conjunction (and,but,or etc)]. Now we are left with choices D and E. If you choose option D the last part of the sentance will become "and offenders being subject to relatively small penalties" which is a sentence fragment. Remember 'being' in 'offenders being' is not acting as a verb. the -ing form of the verb always require a helping verb. The correct answer is 'E'.

Guru's, Please let me know if my analysis is wrong.
technically, this is an incorrect analysis, since what you've labeled as IC2 is not actually an independent clause.
the crux of the matter is that -ING forms are NOT VERBS; in order to consider "IC2" a clause, you'd have to regard "being" as a verb (which it isn't).

... so they are ATTEMPTING to construct a sentence with the following format:
until xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (subordinate clause = modifier)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (MAIN CLAUSE)
comma + noun VERBing xxxxxxxxxxxx (= modifier; this specific type of modifier is known as an "absolute phrase")
while xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (subordinate clause = modifier)

that's actually a completely valid sentence construction, if it's done correctly. here's an example of a well-constructed sentence that has this construction:
until Mom came in and told us to share the food, my brother kept hogging it all for himself, his dirty hands plunging into all the plates, while i just looked at the scene in disgust.

--

there are still at least 2 glaring errors in (a), though:

1 * "being unlikely in pursuing" is unidiomatic. (very, very much so -- i would guess that at least 99% of native speakers of english would reject this choice out of hand, immediately. in fact, this choice is so clearly unidiomatic, at least to the eyes of a native speaker, that i'm genuinely surprised to see it; the gmat normally tests idioms that would be challenging to both native and non-native speakers alike.)

2 * the lack of parallelism, which i mentioned in my post above.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:00 am
lunarpower wrote:
reply2spg wrote:I eliminated C because of 'while'. Use while only when 2 simultaneous things are in progress

federal prosecutors unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, and offenders were subject to relatively small penalties can not be ||el processes. Therefore, I eliminated C. - Ron or any other expert please let me know if I am correct
well, there are two major uses of "while":
1) simultaneous events (as you've stated)
2) CONTRAST (e.g., while most of my friends studied for several hours per day, i only studied for half an hour a week.)

in this sentence, though, neither of these possible meanings makes any sense, so the sentence is illogical and therefore wrong.
Ron,

if i could add... "presumably simultaneous events" for 1

for example:

Eat your food, while I am driving.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 am
arora007 wrote:if i could add... "presumably simultaneous events" for 1

for example:

Eat your food, while I am driving.
sure.

in fact, that should be readily generalizable to almost any grammatical construction -- i can't think of any constructions that apply to "situation X" but don't apply to "presumably situation X".
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640

by sachindia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 am
lunarpower wrote:if you understand the basics of parallelism, you can actually solve this whole problem without using anything else.

keep in mind, though, that successful use of parallelism is not just mechanical; it also requires an understanding of the MEANING of the sentence.
some posters on this forum seem to treat sentences as if they were 100% mechanical objects. while that sort of approach is effective in a few instances -- such as evaluating subject-verb agreement -- it's far from sufficient to solve sentence correction problems in general. in order to ramp up your SC success to the next level, you have to pair an understanding of mechanics with an understanding of meaning.

in the case of parallelism:
if the sentence contains PARALLEL CONCEPTS -- i.e., concepts that describe the same sort of thing, in the same sort of way, at the same priority -- then those concepts should appear in parallel structures.
conversely, for concepts that are NOT parallel, you can't use parallelism as a process of elimination.

--

in this problem:
there are three historical statements:
1) a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor
2) federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue infringers
3) offenders were subject to small penalties

note that, of these three statements, only #2 and #3 are PARALLEL CONCEPTS.
specifically, the first is an independent historical statement, while #2 and #3 are both CONSEQUENCES of that statement (consequences that are presented with equal priority).

therefore, the sentence should be written in a way such that #2 and #3 are parallel. since fact #1 is not conceptually parallel to anything in the sentence, we can ignore it in this analysis.

let's examine the parallelism of #2 and #3 in each answer choice:
maihuna wrote:A. charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright
infringers, while offenders were
not parallel.
B. charge, with federal prosecutors who were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright
infringers, offenders being
not parallel.
C. charge, federal prosecutors (--no verb form--) unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, while
offenders were
not parallel.
D. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely in pursuing criminal
copyright infringers and offenders being
not parallel.
E. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright
infringers, and offenders were
parallel.

(e) wins.
Hi Ron,
I chose the right answer.. but what made me unnerved was the presence of 'therefore' after semicolon..
I now know that this is correct as this is in the OA..
Would be glad if you could let us know why is the presence of 'therefore' correct.
Regards,
Sach

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:20 am
Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, and offenders were subject to relatively small penalties. (Source: VeritasPrep)

@ Verbal Experts - Is the above sentence structure considered CORRECT in GMAT ? I mean,can we connect two ICs using BOTH SEMICOLON and THEREFORE ?

CLAUSE ; therefore,CLAUSE -- does it really hold good in GMAT ?