Only seven people this century have been killed by the great

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 am
Thanks GMATGuruNY.
Just curious to know whether the following structure would be correct ?

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than [people] have been killed by bee stings.

It should make sense, I guess. Thoughts ?
GMATGuruNY wrote: 1.seven people have been killed (subject + verb) and the ones who are killed (pronoun + who-modifier) are NOT parallel forms.

2. E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
And are the above TWO ALWAYS considered wrong (as non-PARALLEL FORMS in COMPARISON SC) on GMAT ?

Why it'd be wrong to consider Verb-ed Modifier as IMPLIED Passive Voice, and hence PARALLEL to the MAIN VERB in active voice ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Thanks GMATGuruNY.

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than [people] have been killed by bee stings.

When ellipsis serves to convert a sentence into a modifier, one constraint is that the resulting modifier cannot include a complete clause.
Since the insertion of people forms a complete clause -- people have been killed by bee stings -- this revision is not viable.
GMATGuruNY wrote: 1.seven people have been killed (subject + verb) and the ones who are killed (pronoun + who-modifier) are NOT parallel forms.

2. E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
And are the above TWO ALWAYS considered wrong (as non-PARALLEL FORMS in COMPARISON SC) on GMAT ?

Why it'd be wrong to consider Verb-ed Modifier as IMPLIED Passive Voice, and hence PARALLEL to the MAIN VERB in active voice ?
A VERB and a MODIFIER will always be considered NONPARALLEL forms.
E: the ones killed by bee stings
Here, killed is a MODIFIER.
No other interpretation is viable.
Thus, it is incorrect to compare the ones killed (pronoun + modifier) to people have been killed (subject + verb).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:27 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Thanks GMATGuruNY.

When ellipsis serves to convert a sentence into a modifier, one constraint is that the resulting modifier cannot include a complete clause.
Since the insertion of people forms a complete clause -- people have been killed by bee stings -- this revision is not viable.
OK. But does this -- one constraint is that the resulting modifier cannot include a complete clause -- ALWAYS hold true in ELLIPSIS in COMPARISON SCs on GMAT ?

Or is it LARGELY dependent on the particular SC(and its context) at hand ? (Because, I guess, in some cases of ELLIPSIS I see you replacing the OMITTED words within [...] )
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:

A VERB and a MODIFIER will always be considered NONPARALLEL forms.
E: the ones killed by bee stings
Here, killed is a MODIFIER.
No other interpretation is viable.
Thus, it is incorrect to compare the ones killed (pronoun + modifier) to people have been killed (subject + verb).
So, (subject + verb) can NEVER be compared to (NOUN/pronoun + modifier such as Relative Clause or Verb-ed or any other types) as they're always considered NONPARALLEL forms in GMAT. Right ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:39 pm
@ GMATGuruNY - any update on this ?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:16 am
Hi Mitch - Any update Sir ?

It'd be really helpful if could you please help clarify my few concerns mentioned in the above post?

Look forward to your feedback.Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:08 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote: OK. But does this -- one constraint is that the resulting modifier cannot include a complete clause -- ALWAYS hold true in ELLIPSIS in COMPARISON SCs on GMAT ?
The rule here is as follows:
A modifier connected to the main body of a sentence solely by a comma cannot contain an independent clause.
This rule will hold true regardless of the usage of ellipsis.
So, (subject + verb) can NEVER be compared to (NOUN/pronoun + modifier such as Relative Clause or Verb-ed or any other types) as they're always considered NONPARALLEL forms in GMAT. Right ?
This sounds right.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote: OK. But does this -- one constraint is that the resulting modifier cannot include a complete clause -- ALWAYS hold true in ELLIPSIS in COMPARISON SCs on GMAT ?
The rule here is as follows:
A modifier connected to the main body of a sentence solely by a comma cannot contain an independent clause.
This rule will hold true regardless of the usage of ellipsis.
Got it.
However, if A modifier connected to the main body of a sentence solely by a comma contains a Dependent clause ? Then how it's to be dealt with ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
This sounds right.
Great.
But if (subject + ACTIVE verb) is COMPARED in GMAT SC with (NOUN/pronoun + PASSIVE verb) , then will this COMPARISON be accepted as correct in GMAT or will they too be considered NONPARALLEL forms ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:51 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote: However, if A modifier connected to the main body of a sentence solely by a comma contains a Dependent clause ? Then how it's to be dealt with ?
A COMMA + NOUN modifier may include a that-clause.
An OA from GMAC:
There are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.
But if (subject + ACTIVE verb) is COMPARED in GMAT SC with (NOUN/pronoun + PASSIVE verb) , then will this COMPARISON be accepted as correct in GMAT or will they too be considered NONPARALLEL forms ?
SUBJECT + ACTIVE VERB and SUBJECT + PASSIVE VERB are parallel forms.
SUBJECT + ACTIVE VERB and NOUN + VERBed MODIFIER are NOT parallel forms.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:58 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: Only PARALLEL FORMS can be compared.
E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
Here, the killed in red serves not as a verb but as an ADJECTIVE describing ones.
What KIND of ones?
Ones KILLED BY BEES STINGS.
As result, E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
Eliminate E.
Hello GMATGuruNY, a quick question. Is it possible that E is also incorrect because it can be interpreted like this:

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings (have been killed by the great white shark).

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:51 am
bonetlobo wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: Only PARALLEL FORMS can be compared.
E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
Here, the killed in red serves not as a verb but as an ADJECTIVE describing ones.
What KIND of ones?
Ones KILLED BY BEES STINGS.
As result, E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
Eliminate E.
Hello GMATGuruNY, a quick question. Is it possible that E is also incorrect because it can be interpreted like this:

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings (have been killed by the great white shark).
Correct!
Because the portions in red are not parallel -- the first is a verb, while the second is a modifier -- the result is the following error of redundancy:
fewer than the ones killed by bee stings have been killed.
This error is yielded because a verb in the first clause appears as a modifier in the second clause.
I discuss this issue here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/comparision- ... 37-15.html
Eliminate E.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3