olympic games...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond of the possessive / non-living question.

It isn't the case that non-living things can never be in possessive form. The issue is whether the particular combination of words makes sense / can be true.

"The car's leather seats are black" is fine because the car does "possess" the leather seats. The leather seats "belong" to the car.

"The car's proclamation that speeding is dangerous..." is not okay because the car cannot make a proclamation. "The car owner's proclamation that speeding is dangerous" is okay because a car owner can make a proclamation.

Thanks,

But then here what is wrong (question : UPTHREAD)
mmslf wrote:

OA is C

Choosing A would mean that " FIELDS' POSING " which is wrong usage

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm
I didn't address the problem directly because that's an OG problem - we're not supposed to be posting and commenting on those online.

I do not see an possessive apostrophe after the word "fields" in that question though (in the original post in which the problem is typed out). Is that a typo - was there supposed to be an apostrophe there?

Also, can an electromagnetic field pose a threat? Yes. This is not similar to the example I gave - where a car cannot make a proclamation about something. (Nor can an electromagnetic field make a proclamation about something - making a proclamation requires someone who can speak, write, or otherwise communicate that proclamation to others.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by mmslf75 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:I didn't address the problem directly because that's an OG problem - we're not supposed to be posting and commenting on those online.

I do not see an possessive apostrophe after the word "fields" in that question though (in the original post in which the problem is typed out). Is that a typo - was there supposed to be an apostrophe there?

Also, can an electromagnetic field pose a threat? Yes. This is not similar to the example I gave - where a car cannot make a proclamation about something. (Nor can an electromagnetic field make a proclamation about something - making a proclamation requires someone who can speak, write, or otherwise communicate that proclamation to others.)
hi stacey,

oh, i should have meant what i is written
u may refer this https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... html#18293
I fail to understand what's written here

p.s it has that stuff above " FIELD'S POSING"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am
Yeah, this is a confusing issue. What Ron wrote is correct, and he did a good job with the explanation - it's just a really confusing topic.

1. No proof exists of baby rabbits posing any health threat.
2. No proof exists of baby rabbits' posing any health threat.

1. No proof exists of me posing any health threat.
2. No proof exists of my posing any health threat.

Both (1) sentences above are incorrect. The basic construction is "no proof exists of <modifier> <main noun> any health threat." The main noun is "posing," and "baby rabbits" is acting as a modifier in the first set. Because that modifier is what would "pose" as the health threat, you'd need to use the possessive form here: baby rabbits' (even though that looks / sounds bizarre).

The second set shows the equivalent setup with "me" and my" instead. The first sentence, using "me," basically says that there's no proof I exist. :) The second sentence says that "my posing a health threat" doesn't exist (well - technically, there's no proof that it exists), but it doesn't say that there's no proof that I exist. (Thankfully!)

So, both (2) sentences above are [incorrect]. [Argh! No, that was supposed to say that both (2) sentences are CORRECT. Sorry!] The GMAT does not like the sort of construction seen in the rabbits (2) sentence, though. They tend to call this an awkward construction and won't put it in a correct answer (even though it is, technically, grammatically correct).
Last edited by Stacey Koprince on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by mmslf75 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:15 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:Yeah, this is a confusing issue. What Ron wrote is correct, and he did a good job with the explanation - it's just a really confusing topic.

1. No proof exists of baby rabbits posing any health threat.
2. No proof exists of baby rabbits' posing any health threat.

1. No proof exists of me posing any health threat.
2. No proof exists of my posing any health threat.

Both (1) sentences above are incorrect. The basic construction is "no proof exists of <modifier> <main noun> any health threat." The main noun is "posing," and "baby rabbits" is acting as a modifier in the first set. Because that modifier is what would "pose" as the health threat, you'd need to use the possessive form here: baby rabbits' (even though that looks / sounds bizarre).

The second set shows the equivalent setup with "me" and my" instead. The first sentence, using "me," basically says that there's no proof I exist. :) The second sentence says that "my posing a health threat" doesn't exist (well - technically, there's no proof that it exists), but it doesn't say that there's no proof that I exist. (Thankfully!)

So, both (2) sentences above are incorrect. The GMAT does not like the sort of construction seen in the rabbits (2) sentence, though. They tend to call this an awkward construction and won't put it in a correct answer (even though it is, technically, grammatically correct).
thanks,

so u mean owing to this FIELDS' POSING version of the sentence in option A we choose C ??

Although no proof yet exists of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat, mounting scientific evidence has convinced many experts that there is cause for concern.
(A) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat
would mean "FIELDS' POSING " ????
(B) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances that pose any threat to health
(C) that electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances pose any threat to health
(D) that poses any threat to health from electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances
(E) for any health threat posed by electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by VikingWarrior » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:27 pm
The second set shows the equivalent setup with "me" and my" instead. The first sentence, using "me," basically says that there's no proof I exist. The second sentence says that "my posing a health threat" doesn't exist (well - technically, there's no proof that it exists), but it doesn't say that there's no proof that I exist. (Thankfully!)
haha! Thankfully indeed! :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am
mmslf75, two things. One, I had a very important / bad typo in my last post. Both (2) sentences are CORRECT, not incorrect.

And, yes, technically A would have to say "fields'... posing" in order to be grammatically correct (on that part only - there are other problems with A), though even then the GMAT does not like this construction and typically will NOT use it in a correct answer.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Followed by:1 members

by BellTheGMAT » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 pm
farooq wrote:
shipra wrote:94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival�s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
These are two independent clauses and they should be joined by special conjunctions (FANBOYS).

"in that" can be grammatically correct but use of "for" is best.
Here, OA is D, not C.

Can anyone explain, why choice B is wrong? In this choice "proclaiming" is defining the sentence before comma, hence acting as phrase. However, as per OG, explanation says, "a clause is preferable to a phrase here." When to use Clause and when to use phrase???

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ManKuts123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 am
Answer B

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:640

by Jayanth2689 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:38 pm
D!! For explains the reason..and its more concise than in that!

by sanjib.saha » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:54 pm
The answer would be D as two dependent clauses are joined by for which is correct.
Sanjib

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vexy999 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:09 am
I'm going with D.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cmmancin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 am
I chose D.

by MM_Ed » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm
D, without a doubt.

Remember that the word 'for' is a synonym for 'because'. Now the sentence reads, "... because a sacred truce was proclaimed...", establishing how the Olympic Games helped in keeping peace.
If you found one of my answers useful, hit the shiny Thanks button! : )

Followed by:1 members

by olegpoi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 am
B
A - in passive
CD- changes meaning
E - wordy