OG SC #76 MGMAT Discussion continues on BTG

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: because + CLAUSE can be parallel with a NON-CLAUSE modifier.
Alright. Couple of quick questions on this structure:

(1) In GMAT, isn't it TRUE that GENERALLY CLAUSE to CLAUSE PARALLELISM is maintained ?

(2) Is the structure mentioned in your above quote frequent on GMAT or it's kind of a rare instance ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:09 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:(1) In GMAT, isn't it TRUE that GENERALLY CLAUSE to CLAUSE PARALLELISM is maintained ?
Yes.
(2) Is the structure mentioned in your above quote frequent on GMAT or it's kind of a rare instance ?
Rare.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:because + CLAUSE can be parallel with a NON-CLAUSE modifier.
(1) In GMAT, isn't it TRUE that GENERALLY CLAUSE to CLAUSE PARALLELISM is maintained ?
Yes.
Well, then in this SC (re cattle breeders), CLAUSE to Non-CLAUSE structure is considered PARALLEL as a RARE instance -- a deviation from GENERAL CLAUSE to CLAUSE PARALLELISM rule in GMAT.

Am I correct ?
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Yes.
Well, then in this SC, CLAUSE to Non-CLAUSE structure is considered PARALLEL as a RARE instance -- a deviation from GENERAL CLAUSE to CLAUSE PARALLELISM rule.
When looking for parallelism issues, often you will be better off if, rather than seeking to merely use basic rules, you operate in a fairly sophisticated way in order to see what makes sense and what does not.

For instance the list in the following sentence is parallel although the modifiers may obscure that it is.

Jim ran out the door, quickly climbed the stairs and found, hidden behind the garage, the missing car.

Here's another one that includes a list that may seem not parallel though it is.

The huge financial losses experienced by the owners were due to wind blowing across the the deck, the fact that Jim had neglected to secure the cargo properly and extremely high waves that rocked and crashed upon the ship for hours.

One thing to consider when assessing parallelism is meaning. Check out the following non parallel list.

After the tone, please leave a message including your name, your number and tell us why you called.

In many cases lack of parallelism is revealed by the fact that you are not able to take any single part of the list and use it alone.

After the tone, please leave a message including tell us why you called.

That sentence does not make sense. So parallelism has not been maintained.

Now here is an example with issues similar to the ones in the answer choices to the question being discussed here.

The event has been postponed because of the bad weather and that there was a problem with the sound system.

Let's try using just one part of the list.

The event has been postponed because that there was a problem with the sound system.

Does not work. Not parallel.

That particular method cannot always be used, but anyway my point is that often when checking for parallelism you can use an approach that is more effective than simply looking to see whether every element of a list is the exact same type of linguistic structure.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:04 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because
C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that
In B and C, as much because of...as because shoppers is not parallel. Eliminate B and C.

The correct answer is D.
gmatguru,
in the first quote, you've mentioned "as much because of...as because shoppers is not parallel".whereas in your second post it's mentioned that "because + CLAUSE can be parallel with a NON-CLAUSE modifier".

so,getting confused from your above two quotes as which one to consider correct ?

p.s: also, please shed light on the errors in B and C ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:41 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

A. of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that
B. of their sales a year earlier having been as bad as because
C. of their sales a year earlier being as bad as because
D. their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because
E. their sales of a year earlier were as bad as that
In B and C, as much because of...as because shoppers is not parallel. Eliminate B and C.

The correct answer is D.
gmatguru,
in the first quote, you've mentioned "as much because of...as because shoppers is not parallel".whereas in your second post it's mentioned that "because + CLAUSE can be parallel with a NON-CLAUSE modifier".
To clarify the error in B and C:

A clause implies ACTION.
A non-clause does not.
For this reason, it is illogical to compare a clause to a non-clause.

as much because X as because Y serves to express a COMPARISON between X and Y.
In B and C, a clause (because shoppers were getting a head start) is illogically compared to a non-clause (because of their sales).
Eliminate B and C.

With regard to the parallelism issue:
The goal is to select the answer choice that offers the BEST parallelism and that most effectively conveys the intended meaning, without any clear errors.
Here, the parallelism in D (in which one clause is compared to another) is better than that in B and C (in which a non-clause is compared to a clause).
Since D offers better parallelism, eliminate B and C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: A clause implies ACTION.
A non-clause does not.
For this reason, it is illogical to compare a clause to a non-clause.

as much because X as because Y serves to express a COMPARISON between X and Y.
In B and C, a clause (because shoppers were getting a head start) is illogically compared to a non-clause (because of their sales).
Eliminate B and C.

With regard to the parallelism issue:
The goal is to select the answer choice that offers the BEST parallelism and that most effectively conveys the intended meaning, without any clear errors.
Here, the parallelism in D (in which one clause is compared to another) is better than that in B and C (in which a non-clause is compared to a clause).
Since D offers better parallelism, eliminate B and C.
SC24 in the OG for Verbal 2E:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.
Here, the portion in red (a NON-CLAUSE modifier) is parallel with the portion in blue (because + CLAUSE).
it's still somewhat confusing.
with reference to your above two posts, it seems that sometimes on GMAT clause to non-clause parallelism is considered incorrect , BUT at times it well could be considered correct as well.

am I correct ?

so, what should be the takeaways for clause to non-clause parallelism and clause to clause parallelism?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:20 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:it's still somewhat confusing.
with reference to your above two posts, it appears that sometimes on GMAT clause to non-clause parallelism is considered incorrect , BUT at times it well could be considered correct as well.

so, what should be the takeaways for clause to non-clause parallelism and clause to clause parallelism?
If X and Y are IN A LIST and are connected by a conjunction such as and -- X and Y -- then X may be a clause, while Y is a non-clause.
If X and Y are being COMPARED and are connected by a comparison word such as as -- as much because X as because Y -- then X and Y should either both be clauses or both be non-clauses.

More importantly:
The goal is to select the BEST of the five options.
Be sure to consider each answer choice not only on its own but also IN COMPARISON WITH THE OTHER ANSWER CHOICES.

Let's say only answer choices B and C seem viable.
If B conveys the intended meaning clearly, contains no errors, and is MORE PARALLEL than C, then B is BETTER than C.
Eliminate C and choose B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3