OG RC #2 Pleistocene Carnivores

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:30 am
mundasingh123 wrote:No ron, i thought sea snakes would have no problems when when they assume the vertical posture in water .
this is irrelevant to the question under consideration, which is concerned only with terrestrial snakes.
the passage makes it clear that gravity functions very differently underwater (because of pressure gradients, etc.), so the experience of the sea snakes is immaterial in considering things about snakes on land.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote: 1. One passage that is related to maps of non-native americans has some error in second paragraph? I could not figure out where and how after which in that paragraph sentence is composed and looks like either punctuation is missing or something is wrong. well - that something wrong very well might be me :) , but I thought no harm in checking with you.
that's quite possible -- i collected these transcriptions of the passages from third-party sources, because i didn't have the time to transcribe them all from gmat prep myself.

could you reproduce that particular part of the passage, along with your specific question?
thanks.
2. An important and interestign thing I noticed is that how dense they make those paragraphs, full of information presented in complicate and normalized way.(there is no single RC in all OGs as complicated as those in GMATPrep) People have attempted to teach speed read etc but no one has ever tried to help for effective read - as far as i know of course. One aspect is to ignore detail but can't there be an another effective way to read sentences or let's say group of words effectively?
if you could come up with one standard way to do this, you would very quickly become one of the richest men in the world.
Some people talk about visual cues and also talk about looking at whole line a a go. But all these approaches try to ignore the semantics of language and rely more on ohter information. A particular approach ,reading effectively based on semantics, might vary a bit from language to language but underlying structures/methodologies should have some clue for a given language providing some guiding rules such as always look for subject and verb. Would you consider something of that sort for next thursday video or it is too vague to ask for?
i'm pretty sure that any sort of approach based on explicit grammatical analysis -- such as "find subject/verb", etc -- would be WAY too slow to be effective in any actual reading comprehension situation.
just for fun, i tried this approach with an article i was reading in catalan (a foreign language in which i have limited proficiency) the other day, and it more than tripled the time i needed to read the article.

your mileage may vary, but i am at least 99% certain that *any* RC approach based on explicit grammatical analysis is going to have both of the following problems:
1) it's going to be much too slow to be feasible;
2) by concentrating on grammar, you will render yourself unable to understand the actual content and meaning of the passage. (think about SC, in which excessive focus on grammar destroys people's ability to understand a single sentence; now, think about what that will do to people's ability to understand an entire passage full of interconnected statements.)
Remember that comprehension -not speed- is the critical success factor when it comes to
reading comprehension questions.
Question is what contributes to good comprehension ? and how this can be worked assuming already good understanding of language grammatically and lexicographically.
does the red word mean "you know a lot of words"? i'm unfamiliar with it.

the vast, vast majority of good comprehension -- almost 100% for most people -- is a function of the context and meaning of the statements in the sentence; very little of most people's reading comprehension relies on formally correct grammar.
for instance, consider that 90+% of internet blogs/comment boards are extremely poorly written -- on most of these boards, you would have to make a concentrated effort to find even one comment/post that is written with correct grammar -- yet basically no one has any trouble understanding the content of the comments/posts. this observation proves that reading comprehension is almost entirely a function of words, ideas, and meaning, and that formal grammar is practically irrelevant in most cases.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron